Blade Runner

karizma

Blade Runner

A recent poll of sixty scientists has listed the 1982 movie "Blade Runner" as the world's best SciFi movie of all times. Harrison Ford was good in the film, but was it really good enough to be considered the world's best SciFi movie?

Other movies in the ranking were:

"2001: A Space Odyssey"
"Star Wars"
"Star Wars Episode V -- The Empire Strikes Back"
"Alien"
"Solaris" (1972)
"The Terminator"
"Terminator 2: Judgment Day"
"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"War of the Worlds"
"The Matrix"
"Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

I admit that Blade Runner was ahead of its time, but I have always been a big "Alien" fan. Ridley Scott is a master of movie making in my opinion. In 1979 he introduced two characters that would remain popular for twenty five years. Ripley and the alien are still around today and are more memorable than Blade Runner will ever be. The scientists of course were basing their opinion on something other than cinematic presence. One was quoted as saying, "It (Blade Runner) was so far ahead of its time and the whole premise of the story -- what is it to be human and who are we, where we come from. It's the age-old questions." Point taken.

Karizma

Phoenix

Blade Runner

Blade runner is a favorite of my dad's, that and Roller Ball.

I liked the female robot that it flips in it, also the little robot guys that were like toys.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Blade Runner

I'd have to say that my absolute favorite sci-fi movies are the Star Wars and the Matrix trilogys.

I could watch those movies all day.

Phoenix

Blade Runner

Originally posted by TheHeggy@Aug 31 2004, 11:33 PM
I'd have to say that my absolute favorite sci-fi movies are the Star Wars and the Matrix trilogys.

I could watch those movies all day.
I would have to agree with you heggy.

Cloaked

Blade Runner

I agree with you on Alien and The Day the Earth Stood Still. I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still on Family Classics when it was first released when I was a kid. I've been an Alien fan and watched every one multiple times.
My son saw Alien v Predator and said it was great. I'll be going this weekend to see it.

karizma

Blade Runner

I am a MAJOR Alien fan and did see Alien vs Predator this past weekend. It was very good. It stayed true to both story lines and had some awesome special affects.

Chromium

Blade Runner

Alien was spellbinding. Aliens was, in my opinion, a better film. There is nothing more sinister and downright hellish than the form of H R Geiger's alien. The best monster ever.

I loved Blade runner, but for me, that would come a close fifth after the starwars trilogy (i count that as one film) aliens, the fifth element and the matrix.

My friend owns a studio made face hugger (un-painted) and a latex replica of the alien 3 head complete with unner jaw. He has it placed in his room so whenever anyone walks in, the first thing they see is that monstrosity. I envy him. :)

AdrianDevulge

Re: "Blade Runner"

Think about this. In a great time for sci-fi Bladerunner was not only flashy but thought provoking. Apparently you all missed the inherant message to the movie. The things they did for the movie at the time where spectacular. Not only that but the scenery fight a cyberpunk reality well. Everything was perfect in that movie. Nothing seemed out of place. Acting aside...the movie In my oppinion is the pinnacle of sci-fi.