BOOK CORNER: What are you reading now?

Samstwitch

Are you a Bookworm or just an occasional reader? Whichever the case, here's a place to share what your reading now. :)

Samstwitch

Watching the news yesterday, amidst the reporting on the latest scandals (i.e., NSA spying on Americans, etc) the Anchorman said that sales for the book 1984 by George Orwell had tripled on Amazon. (His announcement was an opportunity to plug the book, which is a wake-up call.) So I bought a copy. Here's a place where they are still affordable in case anyone is interested: Half.com: 1984 by George Orwell (1983, Paperback)(9780452262935): George Orwell: Books

TnWatchdog

I don't read much but this book is a good one. I have been in sales all my life so 'self-help' books appeal to me the most. Most people use these 21 techniques but don't realize it until they see it in print. This book is a fast read and worth the investment...that is if you think investing in yourself is a worth while project...lol

Amazon Link
Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating ... - ...

Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
Brian Tracy

Book Description

The legendary Eat That Frog! (more than 450,000 copies sold and translated into 23 languages) provides the 21 most effective methods for conquering procrastination and accomplishing more. This new edition is revised and updated throughout, and includes brand new information on how to keep technology from dominating our time.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
I love to read and to learn new things. Mostly science and metaphysics

I am not into anything that has to do with humans chasing balls of any size or shape. :eek:

Samstwitch

About 1984...Here's an article about it on the Internet! I'm really glad people are ordering this book. With all of these Government Scandals, maybe more Americans are waking up...a few of them anyway!

George Orwell's '1984' Book Sales Skyrocket In Wake Of NSA Surveillance Scandal

On June 8, 1949, George Orwell published a novel describing a fictitious world gripped in the vise of constant war and a society held captive by the ever-watchful gaze of a shadowy totalitarian dictator known as "Big Brother." The book has since found relevance again and again in our modern world.

This week, in the wake of the ongoing National Security Administration surveillance scandal, dystopian classic 1984 is again experiencing a resurgence in popularity.

Sales of at least three editions of 1984 have skyrocketed in recent days, according to Amazon's Movers & Shakers page, which tracks items with the biggest positive sales change over the past 24 hours. Sales of the Centennial Edition of the book, for instance, had increased by more than 4,000 percent as of Tuesday afternoon. The book was ranked fifth on the Movers & Shakers list at press time.

(Orwell's Animal Farm, another dystopian classic, has also seen an increase in popularity of more than 250 percent.)

As the Los Angeles Times points out, President Obama even referenced 1984 last week as he defended the NSA's broad and controversial Internet surveillance program, details of which recently leaked to the public.

"In the abstract, you can complain about Big Brother and how this is a potential program run amok, but when you actually look at the details, then I think we've struck the right balance," Obama said.

Google searches for the novel, oft cited as one of the 20th century's best works of fiction, have also increased in recent days, notes Andrew Kaczynski of Buzzfeed.

CLICK ME to see the News Video.

TnWatchdog

21el-p-7ifL._.jpg
This is a book that once I started reading I couldn't put down. It deals with spiritual warfare. I enjoyed the read so much I went to a book signing, which I seldom do.
Publication Date: 1995

An ancient sin. A long forgotten oath. A town with a deadly secret. Something evil is at work in Hyde River, an isolated mining town in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest. Under the cover of darkness, a predator strikes without warning-taking life in the most chilling and savage fashion. The community of Hyde River watches in terror as residents suddenly vanish. Yet, the more locals are pressed for information, the more they close ranks, sworn to secrecy by their forefathers' hidden sins. Only when Hyde River's secrets are exposed is the true extent of the danger fully revealed. What the town discovers is something far more deadly than anything they'd imagined. Something that doesn't just stalk its victims, but has the power to turn hearts black with decay as it slowly fills their souls with darkness.

Link The Oath Frank Peretti - Amazon.com

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
The Whole PDF Book: "Blue Planet Project"

http://www.metatech.org/BluePlanetProject.pdf

My 20+ year old copy is in book form and I paid about $35.00 each copy.

I found a copy in digital form to post here for FREE.

Blue Planet Project - Unsealed Alien Files, 100’s of pages of UFO and Alien pictures and Information.

Samstwitch

1984 book.JPG

With consideration to all the scandals, cover-ups, and conspiracies happening within the U.S. government today, I highly recommend reading 1984. It is not an easy read...it is very stressful. But ultimately, this is where our world is headed.

I just finished reading it myself. :eek: