Can avatars be animated GIFs?

Martian

I could test it, but I'm feeling lazy & it's easier to ask. lol

And if they can be, will they automatically be animated upon a page loading?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I know Harte used to have an animated beating heart as his avatar. It doesn't beat anymore. Could be he posts from the afterlife.

Last edited:

Martian

I know Harte used to have an animated beating heart as his avastar. It doesn't beat anymore. Could be he posts from the afterlife.
Oh yeah! That's a really good point. I remember that thing. lol

Num7

Administrator
Staff
xenForo supposedly supports avatar Gifs if the ImageMagick module is enabled.

It's not enabled right now.

I'll check in my hosting control panel to see if it can be enabled and see what it implies in terms of features and performance. It should and theory allow animated Gifs to... animate.

I confirm we used to have animated avatars. Such as Harte's beating heart. I also remember ZeoEmeraude had an avatar with Silent Bob headbanging! Cool memories.

I'll keep you posted.

Martian

xenForo supposedly supports avatar Gifs if the ImageMagick module is enabled.

It's not enabled right now.

I'll check in my hosting control panel to see if it can be enabled and see what it implies in terms of features and performance. It should and theory allow animated Gifs to... animate.

I confirm we used to have animated avatars. Such as Harte's beating heart. I also remember ZeoEmeraude had an avatar with Silent Bob headbanging! Cool memories.

I'll keep you posted.
Thanks! :)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Right as I'm posting this, is my avatar an animated Nyan Cat? Yes, it is! Will I keep it for a long time? Probably not!

I went ahead and enabled ImageMagick on our web hosting plan. So now, we're able to have FULLY ANIMATED GIF AVATARS! It feels like we're in the 90s again!

@Harte , if you still have your original beating heart avatar, you can test it out, see if it works for you too! :) Be patient when you upload it, mine took about 20-30 seconds to process. It somehow has to be re-encoded so that it renders properly everywhere on the site.

Edit: Wow, it's animated all the way. Even my tiny account avatar in the very top right is animated. That's rad! So 90s! ;)