Can Women Lose Weight Without Exercise?

medostar85

In reality it boils down to calories in and calories out. To lose weight in a healthy way we need the combination of calorie reduction and exercise.
Some of my clients think that exercise only is the answer"zumba weight loss". They believe that a couple of hours of vigorous exercise and lifting weights will be the answer to all their problems. They believe that the weight will just fall off. Wrong!
In reality, if you did three “butt kicking” workouts per week that burned 1,000 calories each, you would still have only burned enough calories to lose less then one pound. You can easily offset that calorie deficit by eating an extra serving per day or one big cheat meal per week.
So you can see that even though the exercise is helping you become healthier it may not be leading to the weight loss you desire "losing weight home". You may become disgusted with the process because you are working so hard and not seeing visible results.
Weight loss, exercise, and looking your best
The truth is this: if you have a significant amount of weight to lose you can reach your goal by cutting calories only. A reduction of only 500 calories per day from your usual intake will equal a one pound of weight loss per week "losing weight world".

But please be aware that when you are losing weight in this manner you are not only losing fat, you are also losing muscle. Muscle is essential to building or maintaining a shapely, healthy body. You need to preserve or build muscle while losing weight. The only way to preserve muscle while dieting is to exercise and place an emphasis on weight training.
Here is an example of a weight loss formula I use in my “Biggest Loser Pro” sessions. This will show in black and white how the combination of calorie cutting and exercise can work together to help you lose weight "extreme losing weight".

My weight loss formula
If a 175 pound women needs 2,375 calories to maintain her current weight, and she reduced her calorie intake by 776 calories per day to reach a 1,500 calorie diet, she would save 5,435 calories per week. If this woman increased her exercise level by only 300 calories per day, she would burn an extra 2,100 calories per week "losing weight home".
If you add the calories she saved by reducing her food intake and the calories she burned through exercise it equals 7,526 calorie deficit per week, or a weight loss of 2.15 pounds per week. This is an average and it may vary from week to week. If you are relatively healthy and have no metabolic disorders this formula holds true for everyone.
If you lose body weight by diet alone you will lose muscle mass. The result is that you obviously become less strong as your body composition changes . Even though you may weigh less, your BMI may not change in the way you want "losing weight world".
Avoiding a higher body fat percentage after weight loss
The BIG drawback of losing weight without exercise is that when your calorie consumption returns to normal you will gain weight. When you gain weight after losing it without exercise, you don’t automatically regain the lost muscle mass "extreme losing weight". Most of your regained weight will be in fat stores, so your body fat percentage will be higher then before the initial weight loss "zumba weight loss".
If you repeat this pattern of behavior you set yourself up for the old “yo-yo” syndrome that we are all familiar with. Every time you lose weight without exercise, and then gain any weight back, you change your body composition for the worse. You will be fatter and less muscular. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so it stands to reason that the higher your muscle to fat ratio, the higher your BMR (the rate at which your body uses calories) will be "extreme losing weight".
If you follow this pattern long enough your BMI (body mass index) gets out of balance, making it harder and harder to lose weight because your fat to muscle ratio is so askew. You get fatter even if you weigh less then when you started. The result is that you can be at a normal weight but have a high body fat percentage, and be unhealthy and flabby "losing weight home".

The reality of weight loss without exercise
So my answer to the first question is:
YES, you can lose weight without exercise.
Just know that in the long run you may be jeopardizing your long term success.
The answer to the second question is "extreme losing weight":
You are doing all this exercise and not losing the weight you want because...You can’t out exercise a poor diet!
To be truly successful and happy with your body and weight it really takes a combination of exercise and diet. Neither one on its own is the answer "losing weight world".
Please make nutrition your priority when cutting calories. Eat quality meat, vegetables and fruit. Don’t rely on portion control packs, meal replacements and other gimmicks.
Please avoid highly processed foods and fast food. You can lose the weight you desire if you use a reasonable approach. Be calorie conscious, get in some weekly exercise and focus on good nutrition.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
It's different for every person, I believe.. :) Some women can pig out and never exercise, and they stay thin... Losing weight is one thing, being healthy is another...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I've always been thin, even though I keep eating a pretty unhealthy diet. I'm a guy.

I'm thin, but I'm definitely not healthy!

The only thing I keep an good eye on, is making sure I only rarely drink soda. It works up to now.

I think it would depend a lot on each person's metabolism. You gotta find what works best for you.

My girlfriend is thin too, but she still exercises a lot more than me and watched her diet a bit more than I do.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
For me, it's about eating in small portions... Especially if I'm eating something heavy, I only eat a little bit. I don't like to waste food though...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I know a few people who don't exercise, but were able to lose quite a bit of weight just by controlling what they eat a little bit more.

It all went slowly, but they made it, and feel great because they have a diet that is a little more balanced, and they are able to keep in control and almost never eat junk food.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
That's a great point. We always feel obligated to eat the whole plate. The bigger the plate, the more you eat.

If you are able to measure properly how much food you're supposed to eat, it'll definitely help you on the long run.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
The plate thing is psychological. It tricks your brain into thinking you've eaten more. It works.

My own personal weight loss journey:

Started by simply counting calories. Lost weight slowly. A doctor then told me to drop all bread, pasta, flour products, sugar, and rice. So, I did. Now, I count calories AND go low carb and it's coming off faster. I have to have broccoli almost every day or I don't lose. I have a sugar free protein bar for breakfast. 1-2 fruits per day. Lunch - I graze - yogurt, eggs, cheese, fruit, etc... I don't always just have lunch. I just eat a little when I'm hungry. Dinner is a protein and tons of broccoli, cauliflower, and sometimes tomatoes. I also steam up summer squash sometimes, or green beans. Snacks: Eggs, nuts, lowfat cheese, cottage cheese/apple sauce, yogurt, popcorn, and one piece of 70% dark chocolate per day. I recently introduced beans (black, pinto, kidney) into my diet once per week (small portions) and it seems to be fine. Only one diet Rite soda per day. Tons of water. I eat cheese popcorn daily and I lose. It's what keeps me from going nuts. I look forward to it every night.

Interesting find: I plateaued recently. When I increased my egg intake, I started losing again.

I swam a lot this summer, but now I'm back to two 3 mile walks a week plus my running around being a mom. (I use my GPS tracker on my phone and I burn a ton of calories doing mom things).

Great apps: MyFitnessPal for food/exercise diary. MapMyWalk for exercise tracking.