Civilization VI Gathering Storm

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Civilization VI is a game best played on the PC, as the console versions miss a lot of key features. I recently installed the latest expansion pack and update called Gathering Storm. Here is what Gathering Storm adds to the game:

- Natural Disasters
- World Congress (similar to NATO) with global voting
- A few new leaders
- More fairness with wonder building (seems easier to get the chance)
- More fairness among levels, until you reach King. Then, watch out for barbarians and surprise attacks from other civs.
- Diplomatic Favor - which becomes like voting currency. It's tradable.
- A few extra space missions, such as landing on an exoplanet, which gives the science victory.

The natural disasters are a pain -- flooding, volcanoes, drought, snow storms, tornadoes. The most common are volcanoes and flooding. Both ruin tiles near them.
However, they have added new features to help you deal with them: Dams, Flood Barriers, etc. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about a volcano, but you can repair the damage with a worker.

World Congress allows you to vote on various objectives - Deciding who does or not get diplomatic favor, the world fair, aid to civilizations, how troops are made (or restricted), which resources are restricted or of more value, etc. You can use this to your advantage and get revenge on other civilizations. They do not know who voted for what.

It's an OK update, but the natural disasters are a thorn in your side. BUT if you want the game to work like real life, this is necessary, I suppose.

Anybody else play Civilization?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I like Civ and 4X games a lot, but I've never been a big fan of Civ 6. I don't like how they unstacked the cities. I love all the rest though. I love those natural disasters! They make the map alive and exciting. Tons of 4X games have boring static maps the whole game. It's about time they bring back the rising sea levels! Do your enemies have coastal empires? Turn the planet into a polluted hot mess and flood their cities thanks to climate changes! Haha!

I prefer Civilization: Beyond Earth, as I'm more of a sci-fi guy. Why recreate the past, when you can create the future? ;) Gotta admit... I don't play Alpha Centauri, because its interface is terrible and I'm totally unable to get used to it. That sucks because it's a gaming masterpiece.

I like Civ 5 a lot though. Especially with the Vox Populi mod, it turns it into a miracle of balance. Impossible you say? Try it and see, it's amazingly well balanced and rich, hard to believe.

Other than that, I like Endless Legend a lot, although I don't like the combat system. The game is quite similar to Civilization. Also Master of Orion 2 and 2016 are among my favorites. MoO2 is old and I suck so bad, but it's a great game, it feels amazing. Instead of cities, you have planets. You play as and against alien races instead of the boring humans! Endless Space 2 is a pretty good game as well.

Did you hear about Humankind? It's a new upcoming game that's in beta. It's basically Civ, made by the guys who made Endless Legend. It looks pretty sweet!

I used to play so much of those 4X games until recently, that I probably could have had a blog about it.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Civ 6 is on sale on Steam right now, 75% off:

The base game is 19.99$
The full game with all expansions and DLC is 65.41$

That's a pretty good deal. There have been rumors of a new Civ 7 coming up, so they probably want to keep Civ 6's sales up this summer.

Civ 5 isn't on much of a sale right now. It's best to wait until the complete edition is only 10$. Happens a few times every year.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Civ 6 is on sales on Steam right now, 85% off.

That's about 10$ for the base game, 15$ for the complete Civ 6 collection with all expansions.

Pretty good deal. Look it up on Steam.