Closing Down (And now reopening!) the Politics Sub-Forum

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Hi everyone,

In light of the conflict that happened here last week, we decided it was time to move a few things around to avoid future situations like this. Politics is a very important subject to some people and we respect that. We just don't like having to intervene in debates and conflicts it sometimes causes.

Therefore, we decided to close down the Politics sub-forum, in order to reduce the volume of discussions about politics.

We encourage members not to turn ordinary topics into political debates. Much like religion, it's easy to plug a political comment in a non-political discussion and spark a big debate that takes over the topic. We want to avoid such situations. The same goes for personal attacks disguised as political comments. Telling a fellow member he/she's a retarded leftist is unacceptable.

We hope these changes will make Paranormalis a nicer place for our members, new and regular.

See you on the forum!

--Num7

TimeFlipper

Hi everyone,

In light of the conflict that happened here last week, we decided it was time to move a few things around to avoid future situations like this. Politics is a very important subject to some people and we respect that. We just don't like having to intervene in debates and conflicts it sometimes causes.

Therefore, we decided to close down the Politics sub-forum, in order to reduce the volume of discussions about politics.

We encourage members not to turn ordinary topics into political debates. Much like religion, it's easy to plug a political comment in a non-political discussion and spark a big debate that takes over the topic. We want to avoid such situations. The same goes for personal attacks disguised as political comments. Telling a fellow member he/she's a retarded leftist is unacceptable.

Where and when is it okay to talk about politics then? Well, it's not much different than before. Here are a few examples that are just fine:
- Politics when it's part of a conspiracy.
- World News, someone's been elected, stepped down, etc.

We hope these changes will make Paranormalis a nicer place for our members, new and regular.

See you on the forum!

--Num7
I agree 100% that calling someone a "retarded leftist" is totally unacceptable...There is one particular member who regularly uses the word "retarded" in his postings....I shall point it out to you personally next time it happens, and i trust you will take the necessary steps to stop it permanently occuring from that member...

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
We're not trying to catch anyone, we just don't want conflicts because some of us have strong opinions when it comes to politics. That's all.

Yeats

I would like to offer a small protest concerning the removal of the section in question.

I believe all the members here can agree that none of us chose to visit this site because we were looking for political discourse. This site is dedicated mostly to paranormal phenomena, with an emphasis on time travel (and a little metaphysics on the side). If there had never been a section devoted to politics, then probably none of us would have missed it.

Except, of course, there was such a section – and there may be those who will miss it. Myself for one.

I agree completely that politics is a very contentious arena, and that there are those who resort to emotional bombast and insulting remarks when their arguments fail to convince. However, there are a number of other, non-political, threads on this site where the conversation degenerated into name-calling and such. In those instances, the moderators simply warned the members in question and, if that failed to resolve the matter, then harsher measures were applied. I don’t really see why political threads cannot be treated in the same fashion.

This “singling out” of political discussions bothers me, as I have seen quite a number of online political discussions being taken down lately. I find the trend to be very worrying, and would hope that Paranormalis will continue to support free and open discourse instead of being a part of that trend.

981cav

I agree 100% that calling someone a "retarded leftist" is totally unacceptable...There is one particular member who regularly uses the word "retarded" in his postings....I shall point it out to you personally next time it happens, and i trust you will take the necessary steps to stop it permanently occuring from that member...
I feel seen

Num7

Administrator
Staff
So, we reopened the politics sub-forum. Feel free to post there as you see fit. :) Since there's no USA election right now, it seems it's a good time to reopen it.

As usual, no debates, no personal attacks, no threats. Be nice! ;)

Thanks for the feedback and for your patience.

JasperMoon

Hi Num! Lots of controversy I see on this site. Haven't been here in a very long time. It's good to curtail the politics. No one can say just one thing without getting it flung back in some way. I've had that happen on facebook. So I stay away for much of the time, only posting one or two items and messaging my friends when I need to. I left because of a big controversy a long time ago. I hope that isn't happening again. Keep up the good work. I'm still interested in UFOs and the Space Brothers. I watch a lot of Ancient Aliens and anything about UFOs.