Colossal volcanic eruption could destroy Japan

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Japan could be nearly destroyed by a massive volcanic eruption over the next century, putting almost all of the country's 127 million-strong population at risk, according to a new study.

"It is not an overstatement to say that a colossal volcanic eruption would leave Japan extinct as a country," Kobe University earth sciences professor Yoshiyuki Tatsumi and associate professor Keiko Suzuki said in a study publicly released on Wednesday.

The experts said they analysed the scale and frequency of volcanic eruptions in the archipelago nation over the past 120,000 years and calculated that the odds of a devastating eruption at about one percent over the next 100 years.

The chance of a major earthquake striking the city of Kobe within 30 years was estimated at about one percent just a day before a 7.2-magnitude quake destroyed the Japanese port city in 1995, killing 6,400 people and injuring nearly 4,400 others, the study noted.

"Therefore, it would be no surprise if such a colossal eruption occurs at any moment," it added.

The new research comes weeks after Japan's Mount Ontake erupted without warning -- killing 57 people and leaving at least six others missing in the country's deadliest volcanic eruption in almost 90 years.

The Kobe University researchers said their study was critical because Japan is home to about seven percent of the volcanoes that have erupted over the past 10,000 years.

A disaster on the southernmost main island of Kyushu, which has been struck by seven massive eruptions over the past 120,000 years, would see an area with seven million people buried by flows of lava and molten rock in just two hours, they said.

Read more:
Colossal volcanic eruption could destroy Japan: study - Yahoo News

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I bet after a few minutes of that colossal eruption, Godzilla is gonna get out of the volcano and... well, you know the rest! lol

Ren

We've had one eruption this year already. Goog Mount Ontake. Another mountain just East of there is showing signs of activity. According to AlexanderTT, I'm more likely to die of the 'Flu'.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
We've had one eruption this year already. Goog Mount Ontake. Another mountain just East of there is showing signs of activity. According to AlexanderTT, I'm more likely to die of the 'Flu'.

I read about that or something similar recently and thought of you. And that Typhoon...... glad you're ok.

Ren

Its always something that could kill us. We even have 1 guy in quarantine for Ebola who passed through the train station I frequent.