Computer Dictator

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Computer Dictator

Would you be for, or against the idea of a computerized dictatorship?

By this I mean a machine programmed to make the best possible decisions for the world/country based on intelligence fed to it.

I think that in theory it sounds like a good idea, but in practice it'd be scary.

jurgen36

Re: Computer Dictator

Yes it would be very scary as the machine would be programmed the way the programmers wanted it. This could not be avoided. A better way would be to have a freely elected government, but every senator or other politician including the president has an irremovable necklace around the neck. At every post office there is a machine with all the names and a big fat red button. If enough people select the same name and press the red button at the same time the necklace will explode and take the head right off. I really do believe this would assure really good and responsible government.
Regards

Num7

Administrator
Staff

It would create a very well managed gov/country, but it would become dangerous. Imagine if someone decides that the computer needs to be shutdown (like HAL9000). Since the computer is the gouvernment (or the spacecraft's brain), it will not allow this, and will try to prevent us from unplugging it. There it goes, again.

Keroscene

I'd think a computer would always try to make the most rational decisions and maybe rational decisions arent always necessarily the best. How would you convince everyone else following a computers decisions would be in their best interests though? Without using some form of violence of course. I think that would be the hardest part.

jurgen36

baudmiksen said:
I'd think a computer would always try to make the most rational decisions and maybe rational decisions arent always necessarily the best. How would you convince everyone else following a computers decisions would be in their best interests though? Without using some form of violence of course. I think that would be the hardest part.

The computer decisions might be the best, but how could parents be convinced that in the interest of the human race, their genetically damaged children be either sterilized or killed. A computer would logically order this but then would need to use violence to enforce this decision. So it is highly unlikely that this measures will ever be accepted. Even if rationally they are the best.
Regards

Keroscene

jurgen36 said:
The computer decisions might be the best, but how could parents be convinced that in the interest of the human race, their genetically damaged children be either sterilized or killed. A computer would logically order this but then would need to use violence to enforce this decision. So it is highly unlikely that this measures will ever be accepted. Even if rationally they are the best.
Regards

I think most people would understand that decision, despite their racial handicaps. :D

kcwildman

Beastmaster

sory dude but I would do everything I could to stop/destroy the skynet program befor it was to late. damn wheres John Conner when we need him. even with the best layed program it would not take long for it to learn/decide humans are the problem. then Aronald shows up

kcwildman

Beastmaster

then again we can just wait for neo to take the red pill
sorry but I just can't snuggle up to the thought of a comp run world

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I imagine that if this ever happened, the people who programmed it would have enough thought to disallow the computer from making any fucked up decisions... Like mass genocide or destroying all fossil-fuel using devices.