Options V
xDrFirefly post Sep 4 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #1

Future Dictator of Antarctica; a Sucker for a Pretty Smile
Group Icon

Group: VIP Member
Member No.: 57

Getting out of Credit Card Debt

Ok, guys. I was looking over my bills the other day. And noticed that some of the CC companies were charging me some outrageous %.
One is at 38%.  So, I need some help.

Does anyone know any good sources on Debt help.

I owe about 16250 on Credit Cards, and I have a small car payment.

My Credit Score is 644.

Cheers

Dr FF
User is offlineProfile CardPM Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cary post Sep 4 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Ragin Cajun
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 10

Dr. FF, I'd recommend contacting Consumer Credit Counseling Services in your area. It's one of the first consumer credit outfits around, and it's generally free. It's a non-profit outfit and local bank employees volunteer their time to help people. The ads you see on TV are generally for profit outfits and will charge you money to help you out of debt. Here's a link to the CCCS in southern West Virginia. If that isn't close to you, I'm sure they can direct you to the CCCS nearest you.

+Quote Post
deepthought post Sep 4 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Gonna shoot ya with ma Pimp Cane!
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Hi Doc.
Don't know if you can do what we can in the UK. I regularly move any CC debt from card to card, choosing the one with a low interest rate, sometimes 0% for 6 or 9 months. avoid paying a transfer fee, or move your debt to a card with a low fixed rate for the life of the debt. Once you move it, DO NOT SPEND ON THAT CARD AGAIN - EVER or you will just jack up charges. If you have more than one card, clear the debt on the highest rate card first. Make sure you have NO SECURED DEBT, OR AT LEAST DO NOT TAKE OUT A SECURED LOAN!

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
StarLord post Sep 4 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Vizeer & Seer To The Luprachan
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Here's something to keep in mind Doc.

Let's say you go through a "Debt Consolidation" like my freind did.

One would think, like he and I both did, is that once you go through all of this and pay everybody back (in how ever long it takes) you have a "Clean Record".

Well, he paid every one off and his credit is still fucked for 7 years.
My friend's response was, "Shit, I should have gone the BK route, saved as much money as possible, have as many people "charge off" on the debt and pay what ever is left over a 3 to 5 year period and still have a fucked up credit for 7 years?

Either way I think we are fucked

What do you think Cary?
+Quote Post
Cary post Sep 4 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #5

Ragin Cajun
Group Icon

I don't know the bankruptcy laws of West Virginia where Dr. FF lives. The big concern is how they treat a residence in bankruptcy. Last time I checked Texas and Florida were two states (may be more, I don't know) that totally exempt the residence from being taken in bankruptcy. Most states have some dollar amount that is exempted as regards the residence. Dr. FF's residence is also his business (bed & breakfast) so I don't know how that would be treated.

And yes, if you go through some debt reorganization and some creditor has to write some off, that stays on your credit record for at 7 yrs. in most states. Same with bankruptcy in most states. I see your strategy StarLord. Declare bankruptcy, keep the money over the next 3 to 5 years vs. paying off the credit card debt, and be ready to start over again in 7 years. What Dr. FF needs to check out are 1) bankruptcy laws in his home state, 2) exemptions for residence in his home state, 3) what income is attachable in a Chap. 13 (reorganization vs. liquidation) as he may not qualify for a straight Chap. 7 (straight liquidation), Yes, you have to qualify for Chap. 7 now. Chapter 13 probably wouldn't be much different than a credit reorganization.

Dr. FF, if you're considering the bankruptcy route, I highly recommend speaking with a bankruptcy attorney in your state who can give you the straight info before you do anything. With the change in federal bankruptcy laws from Oct. 2005, the wrong move could cost you big time. Best of luck pal.
+Quote Post
StarLord post Sep 4 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

If You Do decide to go the Bankruptcy route Doc, check out the laws there and see if it's permissible to have a Legal Assistant do your paperwork rather than a lawyer. You might be able to save significant money in Billing per Hour PLUS save the $2,000 to $3,000 fee right off the bat that Lawyers want to charge for the "priviledge" of represententing you.
+Quote Post
Cary post Sep 4 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Ragin Cajun
Group Icon

That's NOT available now if you're trying to qualify for a Chap. 7 "liquidation of debts" filing. To do that, you have to have a lawyer verify that you do qualify for Chap. 7. The lawyer's ass is on the line if it's found that you don't qualify. So yeah, they're going to charge a fee for the certificate that you qualify for Chap. 7. You also have to provide evidence that you've taken a credit counseling course. New bankruptcy laws that went into effect in Oct. 2005. Yeah, it sucks big time.

Chap 13 reorg. doesn't require an atty. and I know people who've done it "pro se" (without an attorney). Not easy, and you have to know a at least a little bit about bankruptcy proceedings, but not impossible. I remember posting about all this when CC.net first went up. The new bankruptcy laws were passed in the spring of 2005, goober in the WH signed them almost immediately, and their effective date was Oct. 2005. Debt slaves is what happens to most people for 3 to 5 years.
+Quote Post
StarLord post Sep 4 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

I think it has to do with how much money one makes now Cary. It's damn near impossible to get a total sign off - Chapt. 7 of debts, especially if you are still employed.

If I remember correctly, your Lawyer and you fill out a few sets of paperwork and he runs a "formula" based on that information.

I believe it's still untimately up to the Court on whether on not they will allow a Chapter 7 even if your Lawyer thinks you might qualify.

The biggest conundrum is having your paperwork done up correctly. One error and the court kicks it back to you. I am unsure as to how many "stirkes" mistake wise before the court tells you to forget it or if they even go that route. (as in who cares how many mistakes, we just won't do anything until ALL the paperwork is correct)

Well, a "Debt Slave" after an "Official Court" Decision is 1000 times better than still struggling to pay off several Credit Card Debts at usury rates of 38% per month, the person has done nothing about it, with no end in sight imho.
+Quote Post
Nitesister post Sep 5 2007, 04:35 AM
Post #9

Hot sand! Hot sand! Hot sand!
Group Icon

Member No.: 238

QUOTE(deepthought @ Sep 5 2007, 02:59 AM) *

Hi Doc.
Don't know if you can do what we can in the UK. I regularly move any CC debt from card to card, choosing the one with a low interest rate, sometimes 0% for 6 or 9 months. avoid paying a transfer fee, or move your debt to a card with a low fixed rate for the life of the debt. Once you move it, DO NOT SPEND ON THAT CARD AGAIN - EVER or you will just jack up charges. If you have more than one card, clear the debt on the highest rate card first. Make sure you have NO SECURED DEBT, OR AT LEAST DO NOT TAKE OUT A SECURED LOAN!

Hope this helps.

That's good advice, Dr F. Every credit card company is vying for new accounts at the moment, just transfer your debt over to the best deal available, then look around again when that period expires.
+Quote Post
smadewell post Sep 5 2007, 09:08 AM
Post #10

Lord Conspiritalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 89

QUOTE(xDrFirefly @ Sep 4 2007, 11:29 AM) *

Getting out of Credit Card Debt

Ok, guys. I was looking over my bills the other day. And noticed that some of the CC companies were charging me some outrageous %.
One is at 38%.  So, I need some help.

Does anyone know any good sources on Debt help.

I owe about 16250 on Credit Cards, and I have a small car payment.

My Credit Score is 644.

Cheers

Dr FF
Well, you could do what I did. Pray.... Of course, that prayer led to the company I was working at undergoing a merger, which has left me unemployed since March. DOH! What's that old saying? "Be careful what you ask for, because you might get it!" However, I was able to take my separation package and pay off all our credit card debts and I used my 401K money to pay off our insurance/retirement policies. Took my retirement lump sum and rolled it over into a Mutual Fund. I could never have gotten out of debt with the bills we had and the money I was making. All we owe now is our house payment and an insurance/retirement policy for our son. Of course, I'm driving a 14 year old truck, but it still gets me from point A to point B.

Them credit cards will keep you making bricks for Pharaoh in the Land of Goshen until the day you die, brother! Do or sell whatever you have to in order to get out of debt. I'm going through all the crap we bought over the years and will likely sell most of it. Good luck!
+Quote Post
xDrFirefly post Sep 5 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Bankruptcy is pretty much out of the question. With me keeping so much stuff still on my Ohio Address.
(makes me harder to find). With the 2 addresses Bnkruptcy would be even more difficult. So, I dont think I will go that route. Plus, I kinda feel like i'm not living up to my responsibility of the debt. What I don't agree with is on of the damn cards is at 38% that is just them laughting and fucking me. I wish I would have caught this sooner... But, that is why i'm working on a plan of action now.

I'm thinking about doing the Rob Peter to Pay Mary Tactic (Balance Transfers) but I like the 0% or at least 2% for 6 months. That could help out a lot. I just messed up a few months back, and didn't make the full payment, and lowered my credit score.

Thanks again for all the idea. Please if anymore come up shoot them my way.

I made appointment at Consumer Credit Counseling Services we will see how that will do.

Cheers

Dr FF
+Quote Post
xDrFirefly post Sep 12 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

So I went to my appointment at Consumer Credit Counseling Services

Responce: Sorry we can't help you cause your not past due on any of your accounts. Then joked about how I was just being a good middle class american paying my debt on time.

Grr... I guess going back to the CC game...

Cheers

Dr FF
+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Cafe confidential · Next Newest »
Enter Keywords

3 Pages V 1 2 3 > Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

|-- Cafe confidential

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Conspiracy Cafe Home > Conspiracy Cafe Creme > Cafe confidential
- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th October 2007 - 03:39 AM

Free Top Site
Invision Power Board v2.1.7 © 2007 IPS, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator: