Did a 2036 Time-Traveller Really Come Back For This Old IBM Computer?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I think the guy must be a Democrat. None of Titors predictions came true. Of course a Democrat would alter the story a bit to make it seem to be true. And for the record, Hawking did change his mind about black holes. But he changed to a point of view where he no longer believed black holes were real. And CERN still hasn't produced mini black holes. One of the failed Titor predictions.

Wind7

Staff
Perhaps he is a relative to Tom,
the central character from the Glass Hammer albums Chronometree and Chronomonaut.

"...a young man called Tom......becomes convinced that aliens are trying to communicate with him through his albums."

;)

TimeFlipper

The sales of Floppy discs will surely rise? :)
Until very recently, US nuclear weapon codes were still written onto 8 inch Floppy Discs, check it out...I reckon the US military still secretly use them for back up!! :eek:..

Also there are some companies that bought very expensive machinery in the 1990s that were built to last for at least 50 years, that rely on the floppy discs...Those machines are still being used by a few companies because of the huge cost of replacing them..

Mayhem

Zenith
Until very recently, US nuclear weapon codes were still written onto 8 inch Floppy Discs, check it out...I reckon the US military still secretly use them for back up!! :eek:..

Also there are some companies that bought very expensive machinery in the 1990s that were built to last for at least 50 years, that rely on the floppy discs...Those machines are still being used by a few companies because of the huge cost of replacing them..
Replaced with data centres full of servers, but let me know what companies might be able to find one of these old IBM's!

steven chiverton

why would a time traveler from 2036 come all the way back in time for an outdated computer when in 2036 technology would be more advanced then than it was now, dosent make sense and if the time machine used was advanced using 2036 technology then he wouldn't need to come back to the past for an outdated pc so i reckon this time traveler probably came from the past and went to 2036 in the future and because and found the new technology changes and pc updates are not the same as he used in his time machine so he had to come back to the past to get what he needed because they dont have them in the future as its all different and upgraded like the windows operating systems so to put it short a time traveler from the days of that pc went to the future using that now outdated pc and found the higher technology of pcs wasent compatible let alone the operating systems of that old pc compared to the future so he coundent get what he wanted in that time so come back to get it

TimeFlipper

why would a time traveler from 2036 come all the way back in time for an outdated computer when in 2036 technology would be more advanced then than it was now, dosent make sense and if the time machine used was advanced using 2036 technology then he wouldn't need to come back to the past for an outdated pc so i reckon this time traveler probably came from the past and went to 2036 in the future and because and found the new technology changes and pc updates are not the same as he used in his time machine so he had to come back to the past to get what he needed because they dont have them in the future as its all different and upgraded like the windows operating systems so to put it short a time traveler from the days of that pc went to the future using that now outdated pc and found the higher technology of pcs wasent compatible let alone the operating systems of that old pc compared to the future so he coundent get what he wanted in that time so come back to get it
In the video you saw that NASA were frantically looking in 2002 for the Intel 8086 chip which was used in old but highly efficient electronic systems for the purpose of testing rocket boosters, that had not yet been updated!!.....That made their booster rockets incapable of defending against a very sudden rocket attack from Russia for example, if they no longer had any 8086 chips left for the booster rocket testing purposes...

In the Military everything has an "obsolete date" that usually lasts for an amount of years...Back in 1955 the UK began a program to build a nuclear strike, medium distance inter continental ballistic missile (ICBM) named Blue Streak to replace the UK nuclear V Bomber fleet that would become obsolete in 1965...The Blue Streak was cancelled when it was discovered that the American Germanium transistors used in its guidance system, would become faulty after so many years...

A few years ago i was chatting with my brother in law who had been in the UK Navy as a navigator and we were discussing the Blue Streak missile episode, and he suddenly bacame very interested when i mentioned the US Surface Barrier Transistors (SBT) that were going to be used in the missile had a fault....He asked me how i knew about that and i told him i thought it was common knowledge...

He then told me that the submarines which were built in the early 1960s upto the late 1970s all used the same SBTs in their navigation systems that he had to replace every few years use because of the known fault...The UK Navy submarines had a very efficient navigation system which was built around those SBTs, and the whole navigation system was not intended to be updated for several years, a similar scenario to the Blue Streak missile...