Do you bite your fingernails?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm currently trying to stop biting my finger nails because it doesn't look good at all. Am I the only one with such a problem? Encourage me!! Please!

During the last week, I didn't have much time to bite them thanks to the Holidays period, so I figured I should continue that way and stop for good. I tried so many times to stop without success over the years.

I'm a bit of a nervous person sometimes, so I have to assume that's part of why I do that.

Any advice, outside of the bitter-tasting nail polish? ;)

decade_later

wear those thin pvc gloves. obviously not practical. Ive tried to stop but like you say, nervousness will make you do it without thinking! I'm alright now until the Football comes on each weekend!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I went through my first week of work this year without biting too much my finger nails. I only have trouble with my thumbs right now. I guess I didn't lose yet! I'll probably put band-aids on them next week or something. You gotta do what you gotta do, right? None of my fingers hurt right now, which is a big improvement in the first place.

I had to wear gloves for a several days once, it was indeed a great way to stop it fast.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
After more than 5 years of hit and miss, I was finally able to stop it.

Here's what my right thumb looked like in early 2018:

Ew, it hurts just looking at it. This picture was taken the day I decided to stop (again).

And now, a photo from yesterday:

What an improvement. I basically no longer put my fingers in my mouth. I never though fingernails could be so useful. And my fingers don't hurt anymore.

The year-long process wasn't easy, with a few relapses along the way, but it was worth all the efforts. My girlfriend helped me a lot the whole time, often making sure I don't bite them at home while watching TV, for instance! I used nail polish during the hardest parts, especially at the beginning. It worked surprisingly well.

If I did it, you can do it too! :)

Mayhem

Zenith
The smell of that nail polish remover its shocking , im sure if you bit into the nail polish your mind might keep the memory.

Perseverance paid off.

Trekkie

I do occasionally if they get to long and I can't find a shop to purchase some clippers but it's habit I've had for years , now a recent habit I've had for over thirty years is after I've done a number two on the toilet, I'd wipe my backside then look at the toilet paper to see if my bottom was clean,weird habit for years but I overcame that last year by after using the toilet,I fill the sink up with water ,raise myself up and lower myself into the sink , splash gently about from side to side and totally clean ,so nowadays I don't buy toilet paper ,I tend to emphasize with a basic simplicity way of economising and saving financiers for hobbies

Angelface239

I'm currently trying to stop biting my finger nails because it doesn't look good at all. Am I the only one with such a problem? Encourage me!! Please!

During the last week, I didn't have much time to bite them thanks to the Holidays period, so I figured I should continue that way and stop for good. I tried so many times to stop without success over the years.

I'm a bit of a nervous person sometimes, so I have to assume that's part of why I do that.

Any advice, outside of the bitter-tasting nail polish? ;)
No. Because i dont see the point of doing that to my fingernails.