does the alternate timeline theory hold water?

Barbon

People talk a lot about how time travel simply cannot be possible due to the known paradox effect but do you guys think it COULD be possible if we were to assume if we went back we were not actually going back on this same timeline of 2014 but an alternate timeline of 2014. It could happen automatically without us even knowing. This way time travel could be possible and would only effect the less important alternate timeline and not this main one. I am sure other people have voiced this same theory but I just wanted to know what you guys generally thought.

Do serious scientists consider something like that at all? its just a thought.

Sam Slagg

People talk a lot about how time travel simply cannot be possible due to the known paradox effect but do you guys think it COULD be possible if we were to assume if we went back we were not actually going back on this same timeline of 2014 but an alternate timeline of 2014. It could happen automatically without us even knowing. This way time travel could be possible and would only effect the less important alternate timeline and not this main one. I am sure other people have voiced this same theory but I just wanted to know what you guys generally thought.

I personally wouldn't say that time travel is impossible but I haven't seen evidence that it has been accomplished. Human beings do not understand what exactly time is therefore controlling it might be difficult. Until the human race evolves beyond inequality and hate and violence, I hope they never figure it out.

Sam Slagg

I personally wouldn't say that time travel is impossible but I haven't seen evidence that it has been accomplished. Human beings do not understand what exactly time is therefore controlling it might be difficult. Until the human race evolves beyond inequality and hate and violence, I hope they never figure it out.

Mayuri Shiina

Paradoxes are impossible if you consider the multiple world line theory. For example, let's say that you want back in time and killed your grandfather. Seemingly you would cease to exist, creating a paradox. But you aren't really killing your grandfather. The action of killing him would result in another world line, so your real grandfather is on your orriginal world line, not the one you murdered him on.

Mayuri Shiina

I agree with you on that last bit, but I fear that is far from possible. The human races intellectual growth is faster than their understanding of acceptance. As for the "time travel is impossible", I disagree with that. The reason we have not seen a time traveler yet is because of the multiverse theory being correct. Then again, it could also be people ignoring time travelers like John Titor.

Sam Slagg

I agree with you on that last bit, but I fear that is far from possible. The human races intellectual growth is faster than their understanding of acceptance. As for the "time travel is impossible", I disagree with that. The reason we have not seen a time traveler yet is because of the multiverse theory being correct. Then again, it could also be people ignoring time travelers like John Titor.
"John Titor" didn't exist. The perpetrator of this hoax refused to supply his true identify. This, of course, would have ended the hoax immediately.

Mayuri Shiina

"John Titor" didn't exist. The perpetrator of this hoax refused to supply his true identify. This, of course, would have ended the hoax immediately.
Going further into this, I can see the clear sides of whether he existed or was a fake. I myself would prefer to stay on the dance and keep an open mind, considering how fast human intellectual development advances. John Titor may have been a hoax, but that doesn't mean that time travel itself isn't possible.

darwi

Since I would be viewed as a science fiction writer rather than a scientist, with my wild imagination, many people aren't going to take me seriously. Nevertheless, I'll give you my assessment. Both physical and mental time travel are an absolute reality. Some people on this planet are doing it. And alternate timelines are also real. There is too much evidence out there for me to believe otherwise. I feel that I understand the science behind these things also. A paradox is an indication that the science or physics being used to evaluate, isn't accurate. As to the original question about going back on an alternate timeline, when time travelling, I agree. Yes, you would always be travelling to an alternate time line, even if you are still in the same time stream. The time stream would be constantly changing in real time which is different than the time of the time stream. Focus on those last two sentences, if you will. Understand that and you can really begin to understand time travel(and a time stream, which makes time travel possible).