Doing Bad Things for Good Reasons

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Is it possible?

Watching the Netflix series YOU made me think of this moral dilemma. Is a bad action any less bad if you do it for a genuinely good reason? Or are you still as bad as anyone else who did a similar bad action?

Manipulating someone for his/her own good could be an example. Manipulating others is bad in itself, but if you do it for a good reason? Is it okay? Killing can be a bit more tricky though... I don't think there are good reasons to kill someone else.

What do you think?

dizzie

I've often wondered the same. I had a great distaste by the actions in "V for Vendetta" of V toward Evey when he tortures her to make her stronger. If the affected party has no issues when all is said and done, does that absolve the actions? Is "tough love" a valid excuse? When does discipline become abuse?

I personally choose to err on the side of caution, responding in gentleness (I think). At the same time, I do discipline my children in ways that, while not physically or mentally abusive, hopefully reflect a bit of the "real world" that they will encounter later when they are independent. Killing is the solution of last resort and permitted only in systems of war, justice, and defense imho.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
A lot of movies contain that ethical dilemma. Pretty hard to tell whether it's okay or not. Making someone stronger is hardly a reason to hurt someone.

Makes me think of the classic "I did this because I love you!" that seems to explain so many things done in such movies or TV shows. I wonder how often people come up with that in real life, when it comes to serious actions that have consequences.

dizzie

A lot of movies contain that ethical dilemma. Pretty hard to tell whether it's okay or not. Making someone stronger is hardly a reason to hurt someone.

Makes me think of the classic "I did this because I love you!" that seems to explain so many things done in such movies or TV shows. I wonder how often people come up with that in real life, when it comes to serious actions that have consequences.

Ethics is a subject I'd like to read more about. I'm sure that the rationale you mentioned is not uncommon in intense, real-life situations. It's a statement that can't be proved. It could just as easily be a convenient excuse as it could a sincere explanation of a caring act. Even in the latter case, the act could be either poignant, ill-advised, or simply debatable.