Don't allow debunkers to rule the roost!

TimeSpiral

Many moons ago I attended a lecture by James Randi. James a self-styled debunker, although he had some valid points, spent most of the lecture implying people who are religious or believers in the paranormal were credulous and a bit weird.

I couldn't help but think that some of the people he was berating, would equally find him getting sexually aroused by a young man's hairy arse, weird.

But James along with several other well-know debunkers are suffering from what I have coined the "Richard Dawkins Mentality".

It goes along these lines,

1) I think I'm smarter than you.
2) I can't prove that what you believe doesn't exist or what you were saying is a lie.
3) But because I don't believe it and I think I'm smarter than you, therefore it clearly does not exist or clearly you must be a lier.

Debunking is a mindset that comes from arrogance. That leads to rigid opinions or a narrow outlook.

James Randi believes that he smarter than others because he has the ability to trick educated people. Richard Dawkins believes he smarter than others because he's a Oxford lecturer. This is where their debunking mindset comes from.

There are a few individuals on this forum, that believe they're smarter than everyone else. Who are also given preference.

They will push this forum if they're allowed to rule the roost towards just debunking.

Last edited:

JustMe

After 4 days of membership and a number of suspect posts you made a thread about people trying to stop people posting crap on the forum. Well done mullac, dh1, chrisy, Lord Henry or whatever you are calling yourself now. You have proven that you can sign up again with a new email address. Good work.

vitokogvy

like "Just me " I think that this post might be related to those he mentioned (one of them created another account). But i agree with timesprial, when he says "There are a few individuals on this forum, that believe they're smarter than everyone else" . Because there are people that when they dont agree or dont like a post, ask moderator for banning or blocking.. and it is not in its forum rules because it clearly says debunking is prohibited because of its destructive nature, and these people that think that they are smarter than other are in that way... i ask people to read Paranormalis Forum Rules

"We Discuss Paranormal

Paranormalis is a paranormal forum, not a debunking or skepticism forum. Debunking is therefore prohibited, because of its destructive nature. Our primary focus is to discuss about paranormal, strange, unusual and weird subjects in the most fluent and constructive way possible.

No matter how crazy or weird an idea is, we are the best forum to discuss it without concerns or boundaries of any kind. On Paranormalis, you don't have to fear being made fun of or attacked just because you believe in, or thought about something unusual. We actually want to discuss about it too! While we encourage it, we are aware that rational and critical thinking might not always perfectly apply to some of the wildest discussions you'll find here.

Respect
Respect other members and their beliefs, ideas, opinions at all times. We also expect members to be polite and courteous with one another. Trolling, bullying, baiting, berating, mocking, etc. That kind of behavior doesn't make Paranormalis suitable for respectful, imaginative and civilized discussions and therefore cannot be permitted.

Simply because you do not agree with a thread's subject does not entitle you to attempt to end it with rude witticisms. Allow people to tell their stories at all times. Attempting on every occasion to point out something or someone is a hoax is rude and doesn't encourage discussion.

Members who are not respectful of their fellow members or their ideas are going to be warned or banned by the forum staff and their disrespectful messages will be deleted."

TimeSpiral

@JustMe I'm an avid reader and spent many weeks reading threads on this forum before joining. You haven't posted anything on this forum of any interest. All you do is knock knock knock to make yourself appear better then everyone else. You have very rigid opinions and a narrow outlook that typifies debunkers. You haven't even got the intelligence to play the role of Devil's Advocate. I'm a very strong believer in free speech and that extends to people who wish to voice a criticism.

But I draw the line with individuals that try to censor. Which is what your suggestions in your thread recent hoaxes is attempting to do.

Which compelled me to start this thread.

JustMe

@JustMe I'm an avid reader and spent many weeks reading threads on this forum before joining. You haven't posted anything on this forum of any interest. All you do is knock knock knock to make yourself appear better then everyone else. You have very rigid opinions and a narrow outlook that typifies debunkers. You haven't even got the intelligence to play the role of Devil's Advocate. I'm a very strong believer in free speech and that extends to people who wish to voice a criticism. But I draw the line with individuals and try to force their opinions, which is what your suggestions in your thread recent hoaxes is about. Which compelled me to start this thread.
Lying and hoaxing is covered under free speech, but please stop doing them both.

vitokogvy

No matter how crazy or weird an idea is, we are the best forum to discuss it without concerns or boundaries of any kind. On Paranormalis, you don't have to fear being made fun of or attacked just because you believe in, or thought about something unusual. We actually want to discuss about it too! While we encourage it, we are aware that rational and critical thinking might not always perfectly apply to some of the wildest discussions you'll find here.

@JustMe I'm an avid reader and spent many weeks reading threads on this forum before joining. You haven't posted anything on this forum of any interest. All you do is knock knock knock to make yourself appear better then everyone else. You have very rigid opinions and a narrow outlook that typifies debunkers. You haven't even got the intelligence to play the role of Devil's Advocate. I'm a very strong believer in free speech and that extends to people who wish to voice a criticism. But I draw the line with individuals and try to force their opinions, which is what your suggestions in your thread recent hoaxes is about. Which compelled me to start this thread.
Lying and hoaxing is covered under free speech, but please stop doing them both.

Harte

No matter how crazy or weird an idea is, we are the best forum to discuss it without concerns or boundaries of any kind. On Paranormalis, you don't have to fear being made fun of or attacked just because you believe in, or thought about something unusual.
No, you only need to fear being attacked or made fun of if you believe in something that is NOT unusual.
This OP attacked someone for believing something the OP said was made up. This was in another thread.
So, some beliefs are more protected than others, eh?

Harte

vitokogvy

No matter how crazy or weird an idea is, we are the best forum to discuss it without concerns or boundaries of any kind. On Paranormalis, you don't have to fear being made fun of or attacked just because you believe in, or thought about something unusual.
No, you only need to fear being attacked or made fun of if you believe in something that is NOT unusual.
This OP attacked someone for believing something the OP said was made up. This was in another thread.
So, some beliefs are more protected than others, eh?

Harte
it is written in this forum rules. and no, i guess yours beliefs are more protected than others (they or he is banned now)

TimeSpiral

Nothing wrong in voicing a criticism, but some individuals on this forum they know who they are, indulge in debunking which has a corrosive effect. Debunking isn't about questioning the material, it's about putting people down in the most insulting way because you don't share in what they believe. @JustMe thread attempting to get a forum equivalent of a rejection buzzer and @Harte statement that posters should attacked if they believe in something unusual are prime examples of the debunkers mindset.