Election rigged? Nah ;)

Darkwolf

Re: Election rigged? Nah ;)

Do I smell a nomination here?
wink.gif

Well sombodys gotta keep our other candidates honest.

Vote for darkwolf, He doesn't need a stupid excuse to start a war.

K@t 5

Well, if VAX will finish the move, then I can start tomorrow!! ;) Hey, any ideas for a good slogan?

Darkwolf

wink.gif
Hey, any ideas for a good slogan?

This country needs to be raised by wolves.

Why elect another monkey when you can have a wolf?

I did not have...... Ok yes I did.

Not polite enough to be a pollitical insider.

Huh, I was running?

Jauques Shirc won't like him.

StarLord

Perhaps a very Honest Man, one we can look up to, one that has never lied to us, a person that you can trust with your money, a persont that answers to the Big Kahuna himself, a man that stands out at what he does best, a man with a gift to instill faith in others regarding fiscal matters, none other than Benny Hinn.

Yes Sir, a perfect running mate.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"K@t 5\")</div>
It?s interesting to come across someone who can step forward and show me twists of the ways that I think when most others won?t come close to touching these issues. For that I thank you. I want to stress that I wasn?t attacking Christians. For some reason you seem to feel that I was. I have no beef with Christians or their beliefs. What I have a beef with are people using that as a smokescreen to commit atrocities that wouldn?t fly otherwise. As with other groups, this is a case of a few making a bad name and image for the many. The more prominent players in this particular drama that we are watching unfold will state over and over, louder each time, that what they are doing is in the name of God, is the will of God. This will always grab the attention of those who will not think for themselves and those are the people who will parrot anything that goes along with their narrow way of thinking.

I am, however, a little confused by something you said. The remaining 80% of the population doesn?t vote based on other issues?

;)[/b]

Dear K@T 5,

I don't mean to accuse you of bashing anyone except those that deserve bashing. I agree with you about the influence of religion in politics, although if a person is a true believer then I don't see how you can completely separate the two, a sentiment I have heard Bush utter a few times. I would expect atheism to influence the political decisions of an atheist, for example.

I have been accused in the past of bashing Christians when I have used language and logic similar to yours. I only want you to benefit from my experience.

In an earlier post, you said: "Remember, only about 20% of our nation?s population happens to be Christian fundamentalist. That leaves about 80% of the population who sits and decides on other factors."

I only want you to realize that the 20% you referred to have a very high voting percentage. As you know, usually barely half the eligible voting population actually votes. This means that, of the other 80% you refer to, it is likely that far, far less than 50% even vote at all. In other words, if the "other 80%...sits and decides on other factors..." then the most common decision among them is not to vote at all.

Lastly, please keep in mind that (at least this time) Bush won with a majority of the popular vote. Therefore the (mathematically) average American voted for Bush. That is the root of my comment about slamming the average American.

As an aside, I couldn't bring myself to vote this time around. I don't agree with the multitudes of people out there trying to shame people into voting. I agree with George Will when he explains that the lack of turnout in our country, compared to other democracies, reflects a certain contentment, but I would add that it also reflects a certain cynicism - see Paul J. Lyon's posts in this thread.

Zoomerz

Harte;

I know you directed your comments to K@t5, and I don't mean to interupt. I would like to make a comment on one of your statements above...

I don't mean to accuse you of bashing anyone except those that deserve bashing. I agree with you about the influence of religion in politics, although if a person is a true believer then I don't see how you can completely separate the two, a sentiment I have heard Bush utter a few times. I would expect atheism to influence the political decisions of an atheist, for example.
While I agree that it would be very difficult for a *believer* to seperate his/her political views from their religious ones, I disagree that the same holds true for an athiest. That is, unless you are specifically refering to their views on religion in government. Since an athiest's moral values are not based (or derived from) the word of a god, there truly is "nothing to seperate". Most often, an athiest's views on a subject are formed from logical deduction, or some other rational (or irrational!) process. *Atheism* is not a religion. It has no scripture or point of reference.

It has been argued (albeit unsuccessfully in MHO) that all moral values are somehow tied to religious tenets (through the generations), and there may be *some* truth in that. However, I would submit that most of a person's values are assimilated through environmental experience (including a person's upbringing), and directly related to the amount of *love* they receive from others.

Therefore, I believe you would find a much wider range of views from a group of athiests on a given subject, then you would from a religious group. While the religious group would most often be of like (or similar) mind, athiests must form opinions without the influence of a god, and therefore are likely to have more diverse opinions.

I think this is a very important distinction, in that, as you say, the majority of people in this country are Christian, and therefore have *like-minded* views and moral values. It would be much harder for athiests to organize into a politically motivated group and gain a similar influence in government due to this diversity.

Again, sorry for the intrusion!

Z-

StarLord

You know, that could be the whole problem with Bush, he didn't get enough love when he was growing up.

Very Good Point there Zoomerz.

Judge Bean

The basic Christian idea is that the individual makes a fateful decision, and ought to choose the path of light, which will influence him to treat others with compassion.

Show me an American who doesn't believe in that, and I'll show you a member of a very small minority group, regardless of religious "beliefs."

Americans in the main believe in individual choice, freedom, and charity. Devil take the hindmost.