Ethics of time travel

Martian

I don't see why not. There are people doing far worse things and getting away with it, so if you're not hurting anyone in the process, who's to argue? Case in point: Crazy Dave from Plants vs. Zombies 2 went back in time to eat a taco again because it was so amazing. :D

Japrim

Can you elaborate? What exactly do you mean?
I mean if you do something over in your life, would you still deserve to reap the benefits?I mean if you do it the second time around.

I agree with Martian. Why not?

If you're there with an opportunity to improve a situation, what ethical standard would or should prevent you from doing so? In terms of deserving something, I posit that you do or wouldn't be there to correct it.

Excellent question, BTW. Ethics of time travel is something I find myself considering quite a bit.

mariya94

I mean if you do something over in your life, would you still deserve to reap the benefits?I mean if you do it the second time around.

If you're there with an opportunity to improve a situation, what ethical standard would or should prevent you from doing so? In terms of deserving something, I posit that you do or wouldn't be there to correct it.

Excellent question, BTW. Ethics of time travel is something I find myself considering quite a bit.
Thanks Japrim!

mariya94

I don't see why not. There are people doing far worse things and getting away with it, so if you're not hurting anyone in the process, who's to argue? Case in point: Crazy Dave from Plants vs. Zombies 2 went back in time to eat a taco again because it was so amazing. :D
Thanks Martian!

mariya94

Yes, ethics should play a role in time travel.

Japrim

Yes, ethics should play a role in time travel.

Absolutely.

This topic is very real to me, as I have been dealing with some rather unethical people, at least one of which has access to time travel. It's not hypothetical to me. It has put me into the position of having to defend my rights, perhaps/likely one day to the point of using deadly force.

What I see with time travel is an almost god-like power where an ethical standard should be a priority. I also see a whole other level of ethical principles considering the unique nature of it.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to having a thorough understanding of what inalienable rights are, as well as enough discipline to adhere to a standard above and beyond the norm. I also think that it should require a certain level of intellect in order to sort through and process complex ethical dilemmas, as the paradoxical nature of travel applies to ethics as well.

Dragonchaser

Hypothetically speaking ; if you had a certain amount of time to your disposal - why would you waste it to repeat something you already had . I would not .