Feeling awkward when receiving a compliment

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Am I the only one who feels awkward when receiving a compliment?

I'm trying to get in shape, in order to feel better. I walk every night since 1+ month. I've been runing for the past week, almost every day. Felt like the next logical step.

First time I ran, I felt like I was going to die after a minute. My God...

Tonight, some dude smoking near the sidewalk saw me running and told me "Hey man, you're good!". To which I didn't know what to reply... I just slowed down a bit and said "eh, thank you!"

I think about it and still feel it was awkward, because I don't think that, me running, is anything close to a big accomplishment worthy of possitive comments. That made me not expect a comment like that. Therefore, I felt weird and didn't have much of an idea what to say.

I feel like this almost every time I get a good comment on something I did. I mostly shrug it off by saying it's no big deal, just natural, or just the least I can do.

Am I the only one having issues when reacting to compliments? What do you recommend?

TimeFlipper

Am I the only one who feels awkward when receiving a compliment?

I'm trying to get in shape, in order to feel better. I walk every night since 1+ month. I've been runing for the past week, almost every day. Felt like the next logical step.

First time I ran, I felt like I was going to die after a minute. My God...

Tonight, some dude smoking near the sidewalk saw me running and told me "Hey man, you're good!". To which I didn't know what to reply... I just slowed down a bit and said "eh, thank you!"

I think about it and still feel it was awkward, because I don't think that, me running, is anything close to a big accomplishment worthy of possitive comments. That made me not expect a comment like that. Therefore, I felt weird and didn't have much of an idea what to say.

I feel like this almost every time I get a good comment on something I did. I mostly shrug it off by saying it's no big deal, just natural, or just the least I can do.

Am I the only one having issues when reacting to compliments? What do you recommend?
Perhaps the guy was trying to make fun of you, did you consider that?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Yeah, I'd feel strange, too. I don't receive compliments all that much unless I wear a T-shirt someone likes. I just smile and say "thanks".

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I sometimes get approached that way. But it always turns out to be some homeless person trying to get my attention so they can ask for money. The Democrats are slowly turning the land of plenty into the land of poverty.

Martian

Running is probably difficult for him, since he's a smoker. He probably struggles to walk at a brisk pace, let alone run.

As for receiving compliments in general, I think it's because it's not part of a conversation where a reply is expected. It's basically a one-sided statement, to which no reply is necessarily required. The mind has difficulty with endings, whether with relationships, conversations, or life itself. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :ninja:

TimeFlipper

I find that people who make fun of others are either scared of them or jealous, but it sounds like a true compliment to me. A quick thanks is always appropriate. :)
Absolutely right Paula, jealousy is the green eyed monster which doth mock the meat on which it feeds from :alien:..
The classic line spoken about a very good pianist being referred to as the "piano boy" :fp:

Beholder

Feels even weirder if you contribute to open source software. Sat until late night replying to all my "fan mails" from people wanting free support and help with their studies. :ROFLMAO:

If running a company, people who are tired of their jobs will randomly give compliments about how inspiring you are. :rolleyes:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Feels even weirder if you contribute to open source software. Sat until late night replying to all my "fan mails" from people wanting free support and help with their studies. :ROFLMAO:

If running a company, people who are tired of their jobs will randomly give compliments about how inspiring you are. :rolleyes:
Are you maintaining an open-source project? Are you comfortable sharing it here? I'd love to see it.

If running a company, I'd expect to receive shit, rather than compliments! LOL That's how the Internet usually works, right? ;) It probably contributes to that odd feeling uh!

Beholder

Are you maintaining an open-source project? Are you comfortable sharing it here? I'd love to see it.

If running a company, I'd expect to receive shit, rather than compliments! LOL That's how the Internet usually works, right? ;) It probably contributes to that odd feeling uh!
I prefer to remain anonymous here, so that I can be myself. :)