Food Price Conspiracy?

RadicalResearcher

Is it just me or is everyone else experiencing the same thing at the grocery store? Everywhere i go, walmart, safeway, wenco the list goes on and on. Everything is $5 now. You want a small box of glory tomatoes its $5, you want 5 grain bread $5, you want milk its $5. Eggs nearly $5. A good can of soup $5. Cereal $5. Meat of some kind $5 a pound. Case of Cola generic kind $5. I know we have inflation but is this the $5 conspiracy? Get everything small priced near $5? What's everyone thoughts on this?

Beholder

The fixed cost per unit is tied to the salary of workers and energy bills. In Sweden, most things cost at least $2. In China, most things cost at least $0.2. Packaging, counting VAT, scanning barcodes, counting inventory, et cetera. Much easier to sell in bulk, which gives customers a better price. I buy toothbrushes from a supplier that also sell to end consumers, so that I can order 200 units at once if I need it.

Last edited:

RadicalResearcher

The fixed cost per unit is tied to the salary of workers and energy bills. In Sweden, most things cost at least $2. In China, most things cost at least $0.2. Packaging, counting VAT, scanning barcodes, counting inventory, et cetera. Much easier to sell in bulk, which gives customers a better price. I buy toothbrushes from a supplier that also sell to end consumers, so that I can order 200 units at once if I need it.
interesting. But I swear, i keep seeing everything marked at $4.99, $3.89 or $5 or $6.89 more or less everything around that 5 dollar mark.

BlastTyrant

I try not to look at the prices lol I know i could survive on 20 a week a few years ago, now 20 is barely one bag of anything.

My morning routine on the weekends use to be a Dutch bros coffee and a Breakfast burrito it would cost me 10$ that same routine is almost 20 now. inflation is crazy and no one is being compensated for it.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Food prices go up. Our revenues don't. That's bad for so many people. :(

I don't look that much at the prices either, but I usually try to buy stuff that is reduced. Because why not. Still, it costs a lot more than a couple of years ago... Almost twice as much sometimes. It's nuts.

MODAT7

The LWO's war on fossil fuels (everything is delivered by truck on the last transportation leg) and the epic failure of Modern Monetary Theory (that even an elementary school child could have figured out was bad). Big governments pissing TRILLION$ into the wind and then acting surprised when their currencies are devalued.

RadicalResearcher

The LWO's war on fossil fuels (everything is delivered by truck on the last transportation leg) and the epic failure of Modern Monetary Theory (that even an elementary school child could have figured out was bad). Big governments pissing TRILLION$ into the wind and then acting surprised when their currencies are devalued.
Isn't that the truth?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Is it just me or is everyone else experiencing the same thing at the grocery store? Everywhere i go, walmart, safeway, wenco the list goes on and on. Everything is $5 now. You want a small box of glory tomatoes its $5, you want 5 grain bread $5, you want milk its $5. Eggs nearly $5. A good can of soup $5. Cereal $5. Meat of some kind $5 a pound. Case of Cola generic kind $5. I know we have inflation but is this the $5 conspiracy? Get everything small priced near $5? What's everyone thoughts on this?

Some prices have literally doubled - cereal, brand name soda, etc. And I still can't find a good steak. All the premium steak has disappeared.

Beholder

Most prices are rounded to sound cheaper than they really are. Some people read "$4.something" and round down when reading "$4.99". If you go above $5, people might stop and think "that's expensive", while taking the smaller $4.99 item that actually costs more per weight.