Food Price Conspiracy?

Wind7

Staff
Most prices are rounded to sound cheaper than they really are. Some people read "$4.something" and round down when reading "$4.99". If you go above $5, people might stop and think "that's expensive", while taking the smaller $4.99 item that actually costs more per weight.

Wow man, I was just literally going to say this! đź‘€

Food prices go up. Our revenues don't. That's bad for so many people. :(

I don't look that much at the prices either, but I usually try to buy stuff that is reduced. Because why not. Still, it costs a lot more than a couple of years ago... Almost twice as much sometimes. It's nuts.

Right?

I glance at the prices and go from there to make my decisions.

"To Buy.....Or Not to buy.....That is the Question...."

It's just friggin' INSANE....Isn't it?

RadicalResearcher

When I was a kid, I grew up with a household of 8. Father worked in the warehouse and my mom worked at a fast food joint. We made it. We had food. Simple meals of Fried Potatoes and lots of cheap hamburgers and hotdogs, hamburger helper and my brothers worked in the orchards and fished on the weekend. Fruits and Salads. We rarely went out to eat. Pop, lol that's kind of laughable. Soda Pop and Juice was a treat not a replacement for water. Speaking of water. We could drink it out of the Tap without worrying to much about catching something! My dad would come home from long day at work, talking 10 hours + and he open the freezer grab out his AW mug with lightly frozen water and shove his thumb in it to break the ice and that was his equivilant of a beer today. I watched the older ladies in my neighborhood that i grew up in, canning in the fall and early summer. They buy up what ever they could buy at the fruit stands or farmers markets and all day long and sometimes for days I would see these little old ladies setting the canning jars out in the sun. In those days, everyone cooked. Today, its Mcdonalds, Burger King or whatever has got a dollar menu still.
What some people don't realize especially this Gen Z- They don't realize that hamburgers in the 70's, 80s was like 50 cents. Candy was just a penny at the gas markets. It was called penny candy. Hell, at the local pool you could swim for a dime all day long. Gen Z thinks the prices of today is normal! This is not normal! 1960s you could get a hamburger, fry and a soda for less than buck. Food prices of today, what a joke! Why don't they just tell the truth of what is causing this. Truth is, they subsidize farmers to not grow food. It's insane! If they are not doing that then they are regulating farmers to death. Fuel prices have made farming almost impossible. I know, i live in a farming community and still talk with small time farmers, family owned farmers and they claim these reforms and fuel prices are killing them. When the farmers go, so does the country! All the garbage at the stores is processed, packaged junk and alot of it imported in! Oh it may say made in the USA but if you look at the fine print it says processed in CHINA! Bakeries hardly bake anything anymore. It comes in a can, box and an instant mix. Difference in home made bread vs store bought garbage bread. World of difference in the taste. If the lights went out tommorow, power off and nothing worked. I don't think the younger generation could survive. I think half would commit suicide because they couldn't access a cell phone or some sort of electronic gadget. For sure this younger generation knows NOTHING of food prepperation and preservation. I asked my daughter, if the power went out and you needed food and needed to cook it what would you do? Her answers.

"I would call you dad!" I said but the Phone don't work, I said I am dead so is mom now what will you do? "I would walk down to the store and get a luncheable!" She is 17- She my youngest. We laugh and complain about food prices but atleast there is some kind of food to complain about. I think it is going to get real crazy in the next few years.

I about fell out my chair! She a straight (A) student in school. Needless to say I had a long talk with her. But it scares me! I really don't think these younger generations live in reality. If i were you folks who are 70 and older, i would hide! I am telling you. When the lights go out, your going to be needed so badly they will come collect you out of what ever hole your hiding in because this younger generation can't live without youtube!

Beholder

When I was a kid, I grew up with a household of 8. Father worked in the warehouse and my mom worked at a fast food joint. We made it. We had food. Simple meals of Fried Potatoes and lots of cheap hamburgers and hotdogs, hamburger helper and my brothers worked in the orchards and fished on the weekend. Fruits and Salads. We rarely went out to eat. Pop, lol that's kind of laughable. Soda Pop and Juice was a treat not a replacement for water. Speaking of water. We could drink it out of the Tap without worrying to much about catching something! My dad would come home from long day at work, talking 10 hours + and he open the freezer grab out his AW mug with lightly frozen water and shove his thumb in it to break the ice and that was his equivilant of a beer today. I watched the older ladies in my neighborhood that i grew up in, canning in the fall and early summer. They buy up what ever they could buy at the fruit stands or farmers markets and all day long and sometimes for days I would see these little old ladies setting the canning jars out in the sun. In those days, everyone cooked. Today, its Mcdonalds, Burger King or whatever has got a dollar menu still.
What some people don't realize especially this Gen Z- They don't realize that hamburgers in the 70's, 80s was like 50 cents. Candy was just a penny at the gas markets. It was called penny candy. Hell, at the local pool you could swim for a dime all day long. Gen Z thinks the prices of today is normal! This is not normal! 1960s you could get a hamburger, fry and a soda for less than buck. Food prices of today, what a joke! Why don't they just tell the truth of what is causing this. Truth is, they subsidize farmers to not grow food. It's insane! If they are not doing that then they are regulating farmers to death. Fuel prices have made farming almost impossible. I know, i live in a farming community and still talk with small time farmers, family owned farmers and they claim these reforms and fuel prices are killing them. When the farmers go, so does the country! All the garbage at the stores is processed, packaged junk and alot of it imported in! Oh it may say made in the USA but if you look at the fine print it says processed in CHINA! Bakeries hardly bake anything anymore. It comes in a can, box and an instant mix. Difference in home made bread vs store bought garbage bread. World of difference in the taste. If the lights went out tommorow, power off and nothing worked. I don't think the younger generation could survive. I think half would commit suicide because they couldn't access a cell phone or some sort of electronic gadget. For sure this younger generation knows NOTHING of food prepperation and preservation. I asked my daughter, if the power went out and you needed food and needed to cook it what would you do? Her answers.

"I would call you dad!" I said but the Phone don't work, I said I am dead so is mom now what will you do? "I would walk down to the store and get a luncheable!" She is 17- She my youngest. We laugh and complain about food prices but atleast there is some kind of food to complain about. I think it is going to get real crazy in the next few years.

I about fell out my chair! She a straight (A) student in school. Needless to say I had a long talk with her. But it scares me! I really don't think these younger generations live in reality. If i were you folks who are 70 and older, i would hide! I am telling you. When the lights go out, your going to be needed so badly they will come collect you out of what ever hole your hiding in because this younger generation can't live without youtube!
Most people use the price of food as a measure of inflation, so it's hard to tell if the price of food went up or salaries went down. In China, you feel rich even with little money, because a bus ride costs 2 RMB (0.3 USD).

Mayhem

Zenith
Food prices in Australia have gone up considerably while wages have gone nowhere.

In the supermarkets people view the meats and move on and wait for the end date and specials, couple with ongoing floods here potatoes are hit badly and other vegetables were skyrocketing.

Governments are at pains not to grant wages rises at inflation levels citing 'we dont want it worse' easy for them to say.

Most normal people are feeling the pressure and falling behind.