Forum Down for Maintenance: Friday Feb. 2nd 2018 (Completed)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Greetings,

Paranormalis will be unavailable for a few hours on Friday night for a maintenance, starting at 7:00 PM EST.

The forum will be upgraded to Xenforo 2 and our chatroom is going to be moved to Discord Chat for a more modern and convenient community experience.

The overall look and feel of the forum will be renewed, yay! Those changes are mostly cosmetic, as the core features of the site remain the same.

I'll keep you posted. :)

--Num7

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Discord created a death spiral for Time Travel Institute. Are you sure you want to take that path?

TimeFlipper

@Num7 If you intend on keeping Discord chat, i would suggest that the only time it should be open would be if admin or a moderator were attending it..
We would have the usual idiots wanting to spoil things for everyone, and i would also suggest that all music is banned incase it is under the control of the Performing Rights Organisation, that requires payment for playing their members music...

Mayhem

Zenith
That wouldnt work Tf as they the mods/admin arent in enough numbers to be here 24/7.

So as the normal chat session is unrestricted that would be because of the limitation of the what you are suggesting.
But i understand what your are saying.

Last edited:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
In my opinion it appeared to me that discord was not a very popular format for the users. So people stopped coming.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Discord created a death spiral for Time Travel Institute. Are you sure you want to take that path?
I think you mean Discourse, that was the forum software that killed things.

Discord is a chat program like Skype and is great.

Was music allowed to be played on Discord and was it open 24/7 without any monitoring from the TTI admin and Mods?
I think you guys are confusing two things with similar names.

Discourse is forum software and is something TTI used from about June until December before I put things on xenForo 2. It was a nice idea, but ultimately didn't work out:
Discourse - Civilized Discussion

Discord is the chat software and is something I set up for both sites just a couple weeks ago:
Discord - Free Voice and Text Chat

I run my Discord 24/7 and things are quiet enough to not have to worry about anything. I think people are able to self-moderate, and anyone that's going to cause problems isn't someone you want in your community anyways. People don't need a babysitter to make sure they're acting the way you want them to ("okay I'm here watching, so now you guys can talk to each other" is a weird rule to have in my opinion), and Discord has a block button for a reason.

As far as I know, Num is using a Discord integration plugin so that only MEMBERS can access things.

With music, I've never really tried that part of the software yet. There are text channels and voice channels and I usually just stick to text. What I do know is that the music "bots" just pull audio streams from YouTube or similar sites:
Rythm - The Discord Music Bot

There are no copyright issues there, and even if there were, it'd be on YouTube and/or Discord. If their APIs allow it, it's not an issue that anyone at Paranormalis has to worry about.