Friction in an accelerator?

SergiusPaulus

Can we achieve higher speeds if we sent a particle accelerator to space where there is no friction?

SergiusPaulus

Is there inertia in an accelerator? An accelerator like CERN is a ring. does anything keep the particle from bumping into the edge of its intended path, since it’s not a straight line? Would inertia slow a particle?

SergiusPaulus

Is there a more beneficial or advantageous shape for an accelerator? Is a ring the most effective for achieving a highest speed? A comet has a tail. Do particles in accelerator have a tail of substance?

SergiusPaulus

An accelerator accelerates a particle to its fastest speed over time. For the purpose of colliding them with other objects. What if they used a bullet approach and studied the launch of a particle using some type of gunpowder to instantly propel a particle.

SergiusPaulus

Can CERN employ a laser with its collision experiments? In discovering time crystals recently they used lasers to effect the particles. Can you collide two particles inside a laser. Lasers effect particles so it would be a new addition to experiments.

Harte

Does friction exist inside the CERN accelerator or Fermi Lab accelerator? I’m thinking friction would keep an atom from traveling faster.
No, and at that scale, it wouldn't exactly be friction anyway.
1632871624559.png
A vacuum as empty as interstellar space

Anything other than the particle beam inside the accelerator would be larger than the particles in the beam (protons.) So there would be unplanned collisions, not friction, if there wasn't a practically perfect vacuum inside the acceleration chamber.

Harte

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Does friction exist inside the CERN accelerator or Fermi Lab accelerator? I’m thinking friction would keep an atom from traveling faster.
I wouldn't describe it as friction, but there is the electromotive back force that develops on a charged particle undergoing acceleration. The back force becomes equal and opposite to the applied force at the speed of light. Thus preventing any faster than light speeds.

SergiusPaulus

Instead of accelerating a particle can we create a launcher that has immediate high speed then slows down. A particle gun so to speak. Think of how a gun works. The gunpowder ignites and propels the bullet instantly. What could propel a particle at possibly a faster instant launch speed. I would think u would have less electromotive back force at the launch. How about a laser? Can a laser “push” a particle, or can a particle enter a laser beam and have the beam carry it at a high speed.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I would suggest you go read and learn how an accelerator works. The accelerator causes charged particles to accelerate to light speed. Gunpowder or laser beams do not cause objects to come anywhere near that speed.