Gettysburg Ghostly Encounters: Who Is Real and Who Isn't?

First, let me say that ass a reenactor, one who plays a part in reenacting historical evveents, usually battles that are added uup to make up wars, you are catching yourself wondering, "what if I had been here before, in another life, especially if your ancestors were, in fact, there but over 100 plus years before you as mine were, all 14 cousins, well "kin folk" or "'blood relatives". Ii did reenactments as far north as PA, as far west, as TN,, south in LA, GA,SC and NC but there is something about being in a small crossroads towwn, oor it was when I started going up there but it isn'r now, not by a long shot. Touriists or lack of can make or break a town, throw in a battlefieldd where 3 days in July are seen by many historians as the three days that turned the corse of the Civil War in favoor of the Union, that were the eventual winners. I'll mention that going there , doing reenactments of everything from a common soldier to a second in command of a general from North Carolina. As a common soldiier, the most expensive part of my "uniform", which I had none of, was my rifle, which was a replica. The original is here in my home. Ammunication is not allowed nor ram rods on the battlefield nor in any reenactment for obvious reasons. My uniforms was expensive, including all that went with it, I was llucky enough to have a friend loan me a horse, saddle, etc but he was repaid quite well for the 3 day loan. As for running into "things that don''t belong there", aka "ghosts", well to put it bluntly, I've seen various types, those that don't seem to notice me, ones that have passed right tthrough me,those doing a task, apparently doing at their death and doomed to continue throughout time. there there are ones who seem to be flesh and blood, solid as a rock, ones who can carry on a chat from their point in time, 1863. I've met only a few, thankfully with witnnesses who were baffeled as much as me to see this traveler through time, space,life, and death. One that comes to mind was a few years ago when about thirty of us, examples of gray and blue uniforms spread out having lunch, as none of us were scheduled for anything unless we chose to take part in some battle somwhere in the park, when a group of Confederate soldiers approached us, never heard them comming, one came forward and ask if we had some water we might spare, as they were thirsty, to which we all passed our canteens around, aand started conversations with this "group". They all seemed to have no expression, noted none I saw were sweating and it was hot mid-day in the July sun. They were dressed in various degrees of uniforms, one having said I must be from North Carolina, as the governor always wanted his men dressed better than any other troops in the Confederate Army. They didn't seem to notice our friends dressed in "Union Blue" were still eating nearby and wondering what was happening. One later commented a photo he took came out looking like the pictures taken during the battle, the real ones, just made us look like we were part of the photo but blended in with the rest of the troop. After standing there, as none moved except to drink from a canteen, I was informed "they" would be movving on, asked to give my regards to General Hill, from North Carolina, and walked off about 100 yards then simply vanished. No puff of smoke, no distortion in a visual field, they just tuned some corner in time and went back to where they came from. That got the others laying around to group together and ask, "where did they go"? or "did you see them vanish"?. Some espressed a thought that we were being pllayed for folss aand the "troops" had not realy vanish but hid somewhere. Nice thought but there was no where to hide. If they came back, it wasn't by any of us. When I got my hands on a pc, I looked up thhe unit, as to their fate that July day or the next. What found was that no one seemed to know, on either side. The Union command denied taking a group of about 30 men and there were no citations in any records that could be found at about 10 colleges that had records from that time except noting that a particular unit did not report for duty and was assumed to be acting in desertation. If they deserted, it was into thin air, and I have about 30 other men, supposedly still of sound body and mind, that saw a unit of Confereate soldiers go on to parts unknown. Friends that were there still can't explain it, aa few won't talk about it, aand I've had other reenactors show me photos of a unit that was taken, as thee unit, just seemed strange. There was a "haze" around the group in some of the photos but some faces were clear enough to see clearly the same "men", and I used that term loosley, I had spoken with years earlier.

Attachments

• Confederate Advance on the Union line at the High Water Mark..jpg
    Confederate Advance on the Union line at the High Water Mark..jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
  • devilden2.jpg
    devilden2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Taking_Battery_A.jpg
    Taking_Battery_A.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
  • CW025-%20Print%20Large.jpg
    CW025-%20Print%20Large.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • CW115-Print%20Large.jpg
    CW115-Print%20Large.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SaluteHonort-Matte-Large.jpg
    SaluteHonort-Matte-Large.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 1
The Carolinas are most certainly an active area. I have several friends that live up that way that have had similar experiences but not reenacting the battle of gettysburg. Also im not surre if you are familiar with ghost lab or the Klinge Brothers but this is the very thing that gave them there start in the paranormal. They were visiting on vacation and filming when they saw a group of soldiers in the distance. Then they simply vanished without explanation. It was a pivotal moment for them and seems they have been looking for answers every since. Not only is it a hotspot for the civil war that is known for the area but also for native american history as well. Thanks for the post. Love and Light Vamp :):D:cool:

Oh the stories I could tell about things that showed up in photos that weren't seen or there when the photo was taken or being in historic homes and having things take place from furniture moving to having "ghosts" of Union and/or confederate sldiers, some with horrible wounds, others without a scratch on them, parade through the livingroom and simply go right through the wall back into who knows where. Yess indeed, a fun place to visit, going on 10 yrs. and I guess having certin "gifts"' make the term "living history" more accurate than it was intended to be.

We didn't have much war in the North Carolin state, as the state went with the Confederacy by one vote of the Senate, not so easy for South Carolina, god the ghosts of Charleston, you'd not believe it.Sherman took the town apart, blamed the whole war on what the action of the firing on the Union fort in the harbor, if he made Georgia howl, as he said he would, he made South Carolina, Columbia and Charleston ,to be specific beg for mercy. he really had no real desire to do much to North Carolina, though the staate provided more men, supplies, etc., than any other Southern state as well as suffered the most dead and wounded.

Yes but you are lucky to be able to have had such experiences. Awesome to hear about a friend of mine lives in south carolina i have helped some. And it seems there are more that lives in those woods than just the spirits of the confederate soldiers. But i am big into cryptozoology. But there are several names for it one called the swamp monster. I seems to like marshlands. But it has been witnessed in other bordering states as well. That intrigues me on a deep level. But north carolina i would like to visit because of my native american heritage very big in that area. Vampp1r3Goddess :)

I don't know if it would be challenging enough for you but for the average psychic there are more than enough to go around. I really am sorta over that phase and more about what my ancestrros had to go through for three, hot days that july, 1,2,aand 3 in 1863. Shame all that marhed in weren't able to march back home.

Yes it was a sad time the civil war was a tragic event for all sides. It seems there are soldiers still looking for there way home. That seems to happen when tragedy occurs. Love and Light Vamp1r3Goddess