Harte's Titorific Thanksgiving

Harte

Hold onto your basters...
Pumpkin pie has been documented.
In my view, the issue is far too important to be included as a sidebar in a Thanksgiving thread, so I made a new thread for it here.

Paula, get off your ass and start with the pies.

Harte

Harte

Looks like I'll have double the pleasure this Thanksgiving.
My niece, who I haven't seen in almost a decade, says she's coming out here to see me the weekend before turkey day, but can't stay for Thanksgiving.

She is demanding that I fix Thanksgiving dinner for her that weekend.

Looks like I'll have two turkey days in a week's time.

I'm gonna do it all the way up - both times. Pies for her, then pies for the big day. Big ol' pan of my cornbread dressing for her, another one on Thursday. Apple nutcake for her, then another one. Sweet potatoes Saturday and Thursday.

I have enough broth out in my freezer to make gravy for an army.

I might even make the rolls this time.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Looks like I'll have double the pleasure this Thanksgiving.
My niece, who I haven't seen in almost a decade, says she's coming out here to see me the weekend before turkey day, but can't stay for Thanksgiving.

She is demanding that I fix Thanksgiving dinner for her that weekend.

Looks like I'll have two turkey days in a week's time.

I'm gonna do it all the way up - both times. Pies for her, then pies for the big day. Big ol' pan of my cornbread dressing for her, another one on Thursday. Apple nutcake for her, then another one. Sweet potatoes Saturday and Thursday.

I have enough broth out in my freezer to make gravy for an army.

I might even make the rolls this time.

Harte

When should we be over?

Harte

Was grocery shopping last week, and found frozen turkeys for 49 cents a pound.
My reaction?

I bought two.

Harte

Do you smoke the Turkey on a smoker or BBQ?
Used to own a smoker over a decade ago. I had to give it up. Turned it into a fire pit.

Current grill is a barrel-type with a side burner box for smoking. I rarely use the side box though.

The typical Weber kettle-type makes a really good smoked turkey too, just less room in case I want to do a pig.

I use only Kingsford charcoal and chunk hardwood charcoal, with hickory, mesquite or pecan (or all three) wood chunks.

My advice is, don't mess with wood chips unless you have an unhealthy compulsion to be wimpy.

Harte

Mayhem

Zenith
I usually use hardwood charcoal. Have used Kingswood, harder to get over here but still it can be found.

Agree with the chunks, chips are a bit of a gimmick for the occasional bbqer.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Hold onto your basters...
Pumpkin pie has been documented.
In my view, the issue is far too important to be included as a sidebar in a Thanksgiving thread, so I made a new thread for it here.

Paula, get off your ass and start with the pies.

Harte

Hey, I say the men cook for a change.