Heads Up! Discord sells your data

Negan

THE member

As standard, Discord amongst many other apps sell your data. It's their business model and how they make money. While "if you have nothing to hide, why worry?" is true, why are we as a collective user base allowing it to happen by continuing to use their app?

I've deleted my Discord, just like I did Facebook ten years ago, twitter two years ago, and pretty much any other social networking site / app. Instead, I've opted to start using RetroShare as it's peer to peer with no "middle man" digging through your data.

I just thought I'd share seeing I know a few of you enjoy Discord.

TimeFlipper

Interesting that you should come up with this info, DoctorZ also had concerns with Discord and refused to go on it..

titorite

I long ago stopped caring about being a commodity. I know the score and , if I want I know how to disappear and even re-invent. Seriously go to Canada or mexico or any nation with an embasy and just hand them back their Social Security card and renounce citizenship youll get that new identity and all that would come with it... Youd be something elses commodity or debt. But I long ago stopped caring about being a commodity . Ill operate by this worlds workings for now. Im only human

Num7

Administrator
Staff
It all depends on what info you put on Discord.

For instance, did you include your phone number? Do you disclose personal information in the chat? Did you use your real name or a pseudonym? Are you connected full time from your phone?

If you answer no to all of these questions, they don't have much info to sell anyway.

Like for most online services, always be careful what info you include in your profile.

Negan

THE member
I tend to give as little detail that's needed for anything. Paranormalis is probably the first forum / website in a long time where I'm actually using my real IP.

taykair

Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed.

Othello. Act III. Scene 3.