Hello everyone! Need math/theories for Book

USAF Ace

I joined the group to discuss real world science and theories behind what we all love. Time Travel. I'm interested in writing a short novel, but want to have my facts straight about what is known, then jump into theory.

Now the first question I have relates to the picture below. V=vessel, the rest is compass directional markers. With our machine planted at a point in space, and assuming that the earth and solar system moved beneath/away from us, which direction would our vessel travel? Right now there's no time traveling, just an object in space about a foot from earths surface, but not affected by its, or other planetary gravitational pulls.

Two factors I know come into play: earths rotation and the movement of our solar system through space. If I've missed a variable, please comment.

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 0

Harte

The Earth would move away from you toward the east if it was midnight, the west if it was noon.
Regarding the Sun and the rest of the galaxy, there's no direction if you remove yourself from your reference point as it seems you mean here.
If that's not what's meant, then which direction the sun (and the rest of the galaxy) moves away from you would depend on what time of year it was.

Harte

USAF Ace

Understandably, each day and year as observed from outside our solar system is very different from the last, but lets use a fixed day and year. June 15, 2017. Given the earths clockwise spin, 24° tilt and counterclockwise rotation of the sun, I'm guessing at this particular moment, the fixed object would travel north east?

I'm not sure what you mean with regards to midnight and noon vs direction. But I do understand the tilt is different throughout the year. Can you build on that?

Harte

If you are on the side of the Earth facing the sun, the Earth will move away toward the west.
That would be east to you, if you are on the dark side.

Harte

Harte

I used to be able to do gravity with calculus, but it's been too long now.
I do teach physics in high school, so I know enough. As long as things remain constant.

I suppose if I had to I could still work out a changing gravity field due to a mass with velocity, but I draw the line at an accelerating mass.

On a more personal gravity note, I don't fall down all that often.

Harte

USAF Ace

I would certainly love to pick your brain, as the ole adage goes. You mention that a gravity is affected by a mass with velocity? About how fast would an object have to travel before the gravity is distorted?

I have a vessel shape in mind pretty much worked out in my mind, drawing it out is the hard part as I am no artist.

Harte

I would certainly love to pick your brain, as the ole adage goes. You mention that a gravity is affected by a mass with velocity? About how fast would an object have to travel before the gravity is distorted?

I have a vessel shape in mind pretty much worked out in my mind, drawing it out is the hard part as I am no artist.
The field as observed by a stationary observer is affected by any velocity at all.

You wouldn't notice it if you were on the moving mass.

Harte

NaturalPhilosopher

the math to fully explain time travel is basic algebra.
actually all math can be simplified to algebra once you take out the delta T from calculus.

time is the smallest quanta of everything. It's the true planck energy.

Last edited: