Help building a divergence meter?

Apri1

This is a pet project of mine for quite some time now. Mostly brainstorming, and a bit of experimentation. Unfortunately my efforts haven't succeeded quite yet. I'm looking to build a functional and proper divergence meter (such as the one in the anime Steins;Gate). But I'm unfortunately at a loss. Perhaps a bit due to my lack of physics knowledge, as well as my inability to quickly test my experiments.

My first attempt has been to take hashes of various files that contain content that I know differs among various timelines. Using those hashes I then construct a larger 'divergence value' which I can observe. To date, the number hasn't changed, despite changing timelines. Partially because much of the content remained the same, but also due to the lack of resolution within the files (that failed to capture the smaller changes).

You can find the meter itself, along with the source code on the ZeroNet site it's hosted: http://127.0.0.1:43110/1B2G4C4wiygqq87AMeExdwyiSLeVPksKj4/

You'll need ZeroNet to access the site.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 1.03.55 AM.png

If anyone has any ideas for the next version and test, I'm all ears. So far I've received a recommendation to try: taking a battery from one timeline to another and then measuring the voltage (I doubt this would work, and I can't physically bring things between timelines anyway), and to measure the various traits of elementary particles (I see no reason this would work.)

All in all, a sad attempt. I can't seem to find anything clearly definitive of a particular timeline, and it seems most time travel claims fail to even address the topic and question.

Mayhem

Zenith
Time is perception. Perception is time. A hash or a sha -1 cannot define time.

Nor can an algorithm.

Slow time and use that to alter what you want, time has been quickened in the perception of the the new man and woman of today.

Apri1

I think the main problem is that no one actually has figured out what TIME is. Without that basic understanding we're just pissing in the wind.

That's not quite true. We already have basic knowledge of how spacial time works within theoretical physics. And how that works with quantum mechanics.

The problem I see is no one really approaches or discusses meta-time, nor do any "time travelers" ever address this critical and important issue related to time travel. It's very amusing to me to see people claim to change the past or whatever, but then completely fail to understand what they're actually claiming to be doing.

To me, working on this divergence meter is likely the best "in" I have to understanding how shifts between timelines actually occur (as I can monitor the meter and note when changes specifically occur, rather than just noticing changes after the fact).

However, I ran into this issues I mentioned. I'm very interested to see if any claimed time traveler can help provide a solution.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
That's not quite true. We already have basic knowledge of how spacial time works within theoretical physics. And how that works with quantum mechanics.

The problem I see is no one really approaches or discusses meta-time, nor do any "time travelers" ever address this critical and important issue related to time travel. It's very amusing to me to see people claim to change the past or whatever, but then completely fail to understand what they're actually claiming to be doing.

To me, working on this divergence meter is likely the best "in" I have to understanding how shifts between timelines actually occur (as I can monitor the meter and note when changes specifically occur, rather than just noticing changes after the fact).

However, I ran into this issues I mentioned. I'm very interested to see if any claimed time traveler can help provide a solution.

Sorry, I've been around the block many many times. No theory has ever had any luck in producing something in our universe. A theory is just SNAKE oil.

Apri1

Sorry, I've been around the block many many times. No theory has ever had any luck in producing something in our universe. A theory is just SNAKE oil.

Well it's a good thing I'm not selling anything then. Just looking for help and ideas to try.