Hey, can GE survive?

HDRKID

John Titor said that in 2036 he was using a GE C204 time machine, but my question is - hey, can GE survive?

Here might be our answer.

Cirrus

GE will likely survive even if only in name alone. If GE files a chapter 11 bankruptcy for the purpose of liquidation, another entity will most likely purchase all or substantially all of GE's assets and continue business operations under GE's name because of the historical and marketing weight that it holds.

Kairos

With respect to the internal consistency of John Titor's story, it wouldn't matter if GE goes bankrupt on our timeline. It's a different timeline, especially since he allegedly traveled to it and changed everything.

To catch him in a mistake you have to find some scientific error or something like that. I have not seen any credible criticism along those lines (though a few people made silly claims that didn't pan out if one does some basic research).

I think his story is pretty much impervious to criticism at this point. You need some novel scientific discovery that contradicts his claims about what science says or makes possible, and he was very stingy with that kind of information.

Kairos

If you want to make up a time travel hoax, the best things to do involve basically the same thing Titor did. Speak non-specifically about future events. Use the multiple universe interpretation of quantum physics so that actual historical deviations are irrelevant to your story. Create a rationale for why you cannot or will not divulge scientific information (in this case, you claim to not be a nerd and have no idea how this shit actually works outside what everybody knows on the Internet in your timeline).

Once you do that anything can be used to justify your story, and any attempts to debunk it can easily be explained away. It's a perfectly circular narrative so it's always self-consistent no matter what people discover or what happens after you post the story.

What I would find most compelling is for a time travel poster to come on and explain to a time travel forum what new disruptive technology is about to come out, and suggest some investment decisions that would make a return in the very near future. Follow that up with his story. Then if this disruptive technology comes to pass, then his story is going to get much more traction in the future, especially if the prediction of the disruptive technology is very risky. It's not going to change much because few people read time travel forums and fewer still would act on any financial advice given by alleged time travelers. But after the fact his story will have some credibility.