Holographic displays one step closer

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Holographic displays one step closer

That is hot !

BBC NEWS | Technology | Holographic displays step closer
Holograms could soon be helping monitor surgical procedures after a faster way to make the 3D images is discovered.
The journal Nature reports the breakthrough by US researchers who developed a novel material in which holographs can be created in minutes.
I wonder what is the refresh rate after the initial image is created.

Condar

Re: Holographic Displays Step Closer

At a conference in E3 they had something like this and I think the refresh was something like 10 hz did a 10 min presentation with a guy 300 miles away... it was pretty cool.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Cool !

How were the colors ?
Were they pale and bluish like in Star Wars ?

It must be cool to see this for real :)

Condar

I forget now but I think it was just real colors but faded.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Anybody heard about the story around Prince Charles making an holographic apearence at a meeting or something ?

I'll try to get the link.

Condar

I've heard something about it but I don't think it was on a credible web site.. at least what I call credible

Condar

I hate to burst your bubble Num, but alas it is not a hologram. It is still a 2d image, which is actually being projected onto glass. A hologram is commonly 3d with no backing plate such as glass, or screen. Sucks that the AP picked it up as a "hologram" though, they must not really understand what constitutes one.

Bah and I was really hoping for something cool.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Too bad, they said in the article that they display a 2D image in 3D, but I must admit that it looks pretty 2D in the video. I think it's a good start for new display technologies. I think I missed the part about the glass/screen :confused:*.

"By using a high brightness projector, going through a special polymer foil that's invisible to the audience, you can project something that's 2D back into a virtual 3D image. The fact that it only uses one camera and one projector is why it's so attractive. It's simple."
Num7

Condar

Well basically from what I can see on the video this "hologram" is something thats been around for a long time w/ using the glass. I'm trying to think of an example... it's like the minority report screens except its not touch screen like that it just displays an image. Which I won't lie its a pretty damn good image but its been around. As for new display techniques, LED is going to be the new form in about 5-10 years... paper thin TVs... And whats amazing is that their super cheap to make, but unfortunately Sony is selling their first one for Ten Thousand as an 11-Inch kinda defeats the purpose but they know some sucker will buy it just to say he has it. But theres so much you can do with it... Paper Thin, flexible screens. You could honestly sew it into a t-shirt and have it display a moving image or a trailer for a movie or something. It'll be great.