Hope Floats

Unintentional

Hope Floats

Here is what I heard from John Edwards speech last night (July 28, 2004).

Blah, blah, blah, "Hope is on the way." Blah, blah, blah, "Hope is on the way." Blah, blah, blah, "Hope is on the way." Blah, blah, blah, "Hope is on the way." Blah, blah, blah, "Hope is on the way."

It made me think, exactly what IS hope? It is nothing substantional and is usually only valuable when you have absolutely nothing else.

To wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment.
Archaic. To have confidence; trust.

Dictionary.com defines hope as
n.
A wish or desire accompanied by confident expectation of its fulfillment.
Something that is hoped for or desired: Success is our hope.
One that is a source of or reason for hope: the team's only hope for victory.
often Hope Christianity. The theological virtue defined as the desire and search for a future good, difficult but not impossible to attain with God's help.
Archaic. Trust; confidence.

in otherwords...nothing! Kerry and Edwars are offering hope but nothing else (as far as I see).

It also reminded me of that move, "Hope Floats". The moral of the movie is that hope is sh**. The little girl HOPED that her daddy would take her. Who saw this movie, had a dry eye when the father scraped her off him, while she was screaming and sobbing, "Take me with you Daddy! I love you!" over and over again, so he could live a carefree lifestyle unfettered by responsibility?
Also in the movie, the mother HOPED everything would work out right and mayby the father would come back. The black retriever dog HOPED everyday he was gonna catch the neighbors car. What were they gonna do with the father or car if they ever got them?
Truth is HOPE got no one in this movie anything. It was their actions and prodding by others to act that resolved in a happy ending. HOPE is a stagnant condition that will not accomplish an end result. Only actions will do that.

I have heard this saying two different ways:

Well wish in one hand and hope in the other and see what gets filled up faster.

I have heard the same saying with the word hope substituted with sh**.

StarLord

Hope Floats

Politics has always reminded me of this saying that comes true every 4 years:

Hope Springs Eternal

Judge Bean

Hope Floats

Middle class, middle class, blah blah blah; tax cuts, tax cuts, blah blah blah; new beginning, new beginning; new day, new day; to our enemies, we say... blah blah blah...

They say the same things every election; you can almost substitute speeches across the decades, and across party lines. They keep saying the same things because they are all the same people.

They are the people who go to Washington and use all of our money to enrich their associates. We all keep sending them there, and they keep telling us the same things, year after year after year.

CaryP

Hope Floats

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Jul 30 2004, 12:49 AM
Middle class, middle class, blah blah blah; tax cuts, tax cuts, blah blah blah; new beginning, new beginning; new day, new day; to our enemies, we say... blah blah blah...

They say the same things every election; you can almost substitute speeches across the decades, and across party lines. They keep saying the same things because they are all the same people.

They are the people who go to Washington and use all of our money to enrich their associates. We all keep sending them there, and they keep telling us the same things, year after year after year.

Your talking my lingo compadre. The question is how do we wake up the numb nuts? I voted for Bush in 2000, but his crap in office really woke me the hell up. The world looks so different now. So, I am an awoken former numb nut. I keep waiting for others to come to consciousness, but it ain't happenin' very fast. Is the solution to just let the PTB push things so far off the grid that the sheeple will either wake up or die? I hope not, but I don't have much faith in Joe Six Pack.

BTW, I learned in a course once that the Spanish word for "hope" is "esperanza" (or something similar, sue me, I don't speak Spanish), which is also used for the verb "to wait". The point of the distinction as Uni points out is that "hope" is having some expectation of some event being fulfilled, while waiting for someone or thing else to get the job done. It precludes personal responsibility or personal ability to fulfill the expectation. Pretty much a victim's game. "It's not my fault. I've been waiting and hoping patiently, but it just won't happen. Somebody needs to do something." Yeah, skippy, get off you dead ass and get to work. So the Dems are promising that "waiting and victimhood" are on the way. I can't wait (pun intended). Of course the Repubs. will give you a slightly different seasoning of the same brand of horse crap. What a country. We're screwed, and most people don't even know it yet.

Cary