How to build a machine that produces the highest frequency!

fanavans

How to build a machine that produces the highest frequency!

Basis:
There seems to be a link between high frequency and all sorts of paranormal stuff.
So I thought, how can I build something that creates the highest frequency?

Goal:
Create a device that creates the highest frequency.

Problems:
I don't know what frequency is. I mean, I understand the mathematical concept, but don't understand how electricity can have frequency? Or light can have frequence?

I am poor, relative to the mean westerner.

So, how do I do it?

(Mods, I hope that this is in the right section and the sort of post you were looking for in this section)

virtualgirl

Re: How to build a machine that produces the highest frequency!

The only way I know how to do it is with a frequency generator. Most are stand alone models but I have seen frequency generators online that you can download for your computer. Google "free frequency generator download" and see what you come up with. Hope this helps.

StarLord

Havent we seen this same thing done with an electric pencil sharpener and a cat?

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"fanavans\")</div>
Goal:
Create a device that creates the highest frequency.

Problems:
I don't know what frequency is. I mean, I understand the mathematical concept, but don't understand how electricity can have frequency? Or light can have frequence?

[/b]

Fanavans,
There is no "highest frequency." How you create such a device depends on what it is that you want to vary in a sinusoidal pattern (light, air, water, current, your bedspread?)

The frequency of electricity usually means how many times per second the electricity changes direction and then changes back to the original direction along a wire (or in a circuit.) You are aware that AC current first moves one way, and then back the other way, in a wire, right? In the U.S., the current makes this cycle 60 times per second. One cycle per second is called one Hertz (Hz.) So here the current flow has a frequency of 60Hz. If you learn about circuits, you will learn how to take this frequency into a circuit and increase or decrease it in your circuit.

In air, frequency corresponds to sound (though most waves in air are inaudible to you and me.) The same can be said for water. Higher pitches correspond to higher frequencies. If you increase the frequency enough, it will eventually go out of range of your hearing, but it will still be there.

Water waves on the surface also have frequency, it is the number of wave crests (or troughs) that pass per second. Usually pretty low, huh.

Light can be considered a wave, so light has frequency. In the range of visible light, colors tell us what wavelength of light we are seeing. The redder the color, the longer the wavelength, the bluer, the shorter.

There is a simple relation between wavelength and frequency. Since the wavelength is the length of the cycle from crest to crest (or trough to trough), and the frequency is the number of wavelengths that pass in one second, you can see that the speed of the wave = wavelength*frequency.
Since the speed of light is constant ?, we have:
c=f*L or f=L/c. This relationship is true for any kind of wave, as long as you know the wave speed is constant (you know, like the speed of sound.)

This should give you at least some grasp of what frequency means in the physical world, not just in the mathematical one.

Harte

Strangevisitor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
Havent we seen this same thing done with an electric pencil sharpener and a cat?[/b]

volin lessons work too

you could also google "how to build a frequency generator." I also found some already built at ebay after searching "frequency generator."
you might want to look into a white noise machine I've heard they work too if your looking for something that'll help you see into the paranormal relem.

fanavans

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
Your bedspread[/b]

LOL!

OK, so accepting that frequency has to be tied to a medium - What is the highest frequency of light?

Fanavans

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"fanavans\")</div>
LOL!

OK, so accepting that frequency has to be tied to a medium - What is the highest frequency of light?

Fanavans[/b]

Fanavans,
It depends on what you mean by "light". Light is electromagnetic radiation like radiowaves or microwaves. If you mean this kind of light, then I think the highest electromagnetic frequency would be that of gamma rays, which are, I believe, any radiation with a frequency higher than 3*10^19, or 300,00,000,000,000,000,000 cycles per second (Hz.)

If you mean visible light, then deep blue(on the verge of ultraviolet) would be the highest, since ultraviolet light is invisible to our eyes.

Remember the relation between frequency, wavelength and speed I spoke of earlier (c=f*L)? We know c is constant, so effectively this says that the wavelength is inversely proportional to the frequency (and vice-versa.) This is interesting when you consider that, with electromagnetic waves, there is a lower limit (theoretically) to how small L can be, and thus how large f can be.

The shortest length that can be meaningfully measured is the Planck length, about 1.6*10^-35, or 0.(34 zeros)16. At this size, normal understanding of spacetime breaks down. So probably this is the size of the shortest wavelength you can ever hope to generate.

Given this information, you can plug the Planck length and the speed of light into the above equation to obtain the highest (electromagnetic) frequency that you can ever hope to obtain.

I must say that the mere calculation of this frequency in no way brings you any closer to generating a wave of this frequency. And that's probably a good thing, since the effect of the wave on your person would, to say the least, not be very good. The amount of energy involved in generating a wave with these properties is enormous, but that's another question.

Harte

fanavans

Thanks Harte.

I did mean the whole spectrum - so now I have to produce some sought of gamma ray gun? Perhaps a table top quasar?

Unless anyone has any ideas on how to do that I guess this quest i over...

Fanavans

thenumbersix

On the machine idea:

get yourslef a girlfriend, ignore her, spend all of your time on the internet, don't buy her nice things (better still, don't give her wads of cash to buy nice things herself), don't put oil in her car for her, even though you promised to 'keep an eye on it', erm when asked 'does my bum look big in <insert item of clothing here>', just grunt and ask for another beer....

you gonna get some high frequencies there, forget your machine my friend nature has all of the answers :D

:tonguefirmlyincheek:

fanavans

:)

SIX,

You may well get some high frequencies out of her, but the frequency of something else important will no doubt decrease!

Fanavans :)