Paula's Search for Artifacts

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I always have the urge to explore and find things. I own 15 acres and have been digging around for a few years. I check the holes the wild boars dig up. I checked the creek when it dried up. I've used a metal detector. I can't find anything. This area had a lot of native activity. We even have a museum proving it. I also live near the cracker trail. So, my thought is that a) the people who had all the surrounding land in the 1800's found everything already b) the previous owners of this house since it was built found everything or c) even farther back, this could have all been a swamp.

Is there any advice for finding artifacts like arrow heads? When the creeks dry up in the winter, I check the banks but I only found old pool coping stuck in the dirt. I don't really want to dig large holes in my property. Most of it is woods, btw. Some of the trees are very old. Who knows what is under all the pine needles.

I actually get sad if I can't find anything. LOL. Oh, I find bones all the time ---- from animals eating their prey or from people burying their dead cows and horses on the property. (A neighbor was using some of our property even though they didn't own it. It ended when we moved in). But I'm tired of dead cow bones. I want an arrowhead!!!! To be honest, we barely even have any rocks!!!!

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I used to dig with a metal detector in my backyard (only one acre). I ended up finding a silver ring with a black stone! That was probably the most exciting, lol. Other than I came across a letter opener with the name of a funeral home on the handle, and an old broken teacup. It's kinda fun to treasure hunt. :)

TimeFlipper

I always have the urge to explore and find things. I own 15 acres and have been digging around for a few years. I check the holes the wild boars dig up. I checked the creek when it dried up. I've used a metal detector. I can't find anything. This area had a lot of native activity. We even have a museum proving it. I also live near the cracker trail. So, my thought is that a) the people who had all the surrounding land in the 1800's found everything already b) the previous owners of this house since it was built found everything or c) even farther back, this could have all been a swamp.

Is there any advice for finding artifacts like arrow heads? When the creeks dry up in the winter, I check the banks but I only found old pool coping stuck in the dirt. I don't really want to dig large holes in my property. Most of it is woods, btw. Some of the trees are very old. Who knows what is under all the pine needles.

I actually get sad if I can't find anything. LOL. Oh, I find bones all the time ---- from animals eating their prey or from people burying their dead cows and horses on the property. (A neighbor was using some of our property even though they didn't own it. It ended when we moved in). But I'm tired of dead cow bones. I want an arrowhead!!!! To be honest, we barely even have any rocks!!!!
Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) is the only device that could help you discover objects upto 50 feet below ground and display them on a screen...Perhaps you could hire someone that has a GPR to help you out...Keep him away from Buddy Paula :eek::D..

Martian

You could put 1/4" metal mesh across a 5 gallon (or larger) bucket & shovel dirt into it. As long as it doesn't clump together & is dry enough, the dirt will fall through, leaving larger objects on top.

Wind7

Staff
I used to dig with a metal detector in my backyard (only one acre). I ended up finding a silver ring with a black stone! That was probably the most exciting, lol. Other than I came across a letter opener with the name of a funeral home on the handle, and an old broken teacup. It's kinda fun to treasure hunt. :)

Did you take any pictures ?

:)