How To Move Things With Sound/Acoustic Propulsion..

Martian

Mmm, yes... It works because vortex rings carry momentum. If you read Helmholtz' document (On Integrals of the Hydrodynamic Equations That Correspond to Vortex Motions) where he used the Navier-Stokes equations to derive certain things about vortices, you'll see that the flow field from opposite sides of a vortex ring causes the fluid to move forward with the thing. It actually causes translation of the same molecules, instead of only vibrating them or some such thing. Then of course, there's Newton's 2nd law of motion. Blah blah. You can do interesting things with sound. :geek:

Last edited:

Martian

Mmm, yes... It works because vortex rings carry momentum. If you read Helmholtz' document (er, I forget the name) where he used the Navier-Stokes equations to derive certain things about vortices, you'll see that the flow field from opposite sides of a vortex ring actually cause the fluid to move forward with the thing. It actually causes translation of the same molecules, instead of only vibrating them or some such thing. Then of course, there's Newton's 2nd law of motion. Blah blah. You can do interesting things with sound. :geek:
I found a link:

Merry Christmas. :geek:

TimeFlipper

Mmm, yes... It works because vortex rings carry momentum. If you read Helmholtz' document (On Integrals of the Hydrodynamic Equations That Correspond to Vortex Motions) where he used the Navier-Stokes equations to derive certain things about vortices, you'll see that the flow field from opposite sides of a vortex ring causes the fluid to move forward with the thing. It actually causes translation of the same molecules, instead of only vibrating them or some such thing. Then of course, there's Newton's 2nd law of motion. Blah blah. You can do interesting things with sound. :geek:
Good to hear your own "sound" again on Paranormalis, i missed you :D..

Last edited: