Hurricane Ian

Wind7

Staff
Bacteria. Coliform and Ecoli. We have to bleach it out.

I recall reading a while back that users with a private well can use bleach to kill bacteria. But I don't know what quantity you would need.

@PaulaJedi I found this online for you.

Contamination isn't nothing to mess with and it takes time depending upon the size of your
well and/or water table.

The worst part is running it all through your plumbing and then running your water
until it's all out from your cold and hot water tanks.

Been there.

I hope you are able to rid the contamination this way. (y)(y)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
@PaulaJedi I found this online for you.

Contamination isn't nothing to mess with and it takes time depending upon the size of your
well and/or water table.

The worst part is running it all through your plumbing and then running your water
until it's all out from your cold and hot water tanks.

Been there.

I hope you are able to rid the contamination this way. (y)(y)

Yes, sir. We have to put bleach in it and let it sit for 24 hours then rinse it out. Not having water again......... ARGH........
I already picked up another test kit. I think we're bleaching it today.

Wind7

Staff
You are correct. About a gallon depending on the size of something....that I know nothing about. LOL

Worst case scenario is that, (maybe) because of your well size,
you might have to treat it again if the re-test still shows contamination.

I have my private well but it's more of an underground spring or aquifer.

We had to dump 2 containers of bleach while running our water throughout the whole house,
even the outside tap was running...Until we smelled the bleach, then it was shut off
and let to sit for no more than 12 hours due to the fact that some of our pipes were iron.

I remember hearing one of the neighbors talking about their water suddenly smelling of bleach, o_O
and that's how we found out about our well being spring fed.

I imagine that most all of the newer homes have PVC piping
whereas my home is quite old by todays standards.. that is to say,...You should have PVC in your home. (y)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Worst case scenario is that, (maybe) because of your well size,
you might have to treat it again if the re-test still shows contamination.

I have my private well but it's more of an underground spring or aquifer.

We had to dump 2 containers of bleach while running our water throughout the whole house,
even the outside tap was running...Until we smelled the bleach, then it was shut off
and let to sit for no more than 12 hours due to the fact that some of our pipes were iron.

I remember hearing one of the neighbors talking about their water suddenly smelling of bleach, o_O
and that's how we found out about our well being spring fed.

I imagine that most all of the newer homes have PVC piping
whereas my home is quite old by todays standards.. that is to say,...You should have PVC in your home. (y)

We couldn't smell the bleach! The problem is that we can't bypass the water softener so it may have filtered it. We still have the bleach sitting over night and will rinse it out today and reset in 2 days.

Externally, there is PVC piping. I don't know what's underground. I think this house was built in 1996.

And thanks for responding. Any advice is appreciated. My husband wants to find some type of well cap that won't allow water to get in, if that exists.

MODAT7

If you find the first bleaching questionable, repeat with more the next day and don't wait too long. In addition to the bacteria, there are also small parasites that would be awful to ingest and get infected with.

A few years ago, I picked up a cheap ozone bubbler off amazon. I wasn't sure if I would like something like that, so I went minimal. It turns out they're very handy, and I recommend them. After we got hit with Snowmageddon a couple years ago, I was ozone bombing my drinking water after there was a break in the line at Ft. Worth. Ozone water has some health benefits to it. Ozone is a mild bleach and also comes in handy with the laundry and doing colors (but use a separate bubbler stone for cleaning stuff). When my cheap china unit finally dies (the air pump is sounding like a little lawn mower now), I think I'm going to build my own in a better configuration.

Poor trees with shallow root systems. :-(

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
We filter our water 4 times to get rid of the mineral taste, but I still don't want nasty bacteria in the well! I really hope this fixed it.
And yes, oak trees don't have deep roots. They span out instead of going deep.

MODAT7

Since you haven't been finding any arrowheads, grab a large block of flint (at least 1ft across), make it into an extra large arrowhead, cut off a branch for the shaft, assemble together, then claim it's for hunting the ellusive allicrocosaurus.