Hypnotherapy for anxiety

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What about hypnotherapy in order to counter anxiety? Has anyone here ever done this?

I few people told me about this, that it could work. I'm not quite convinced to try it yet.

What do you think?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Lets see. Anxiety is just the state of being anxious. So in my opinion I don't think you could hypnotize someone out of being anxious. But now the thoughts you associate with anxiousness could possibly be reprogrammed. For instance I usually associate the emotion with anticipation for something good that is about to happen. I never dwell on bad outcomes. I'm not waiting for the sky to fall.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
If it can be of any help, here are my primary symptoms. Don't worry, I don't feel them all at once. I feel a few of them at a time, depending how I feel, how things go, what happens, when, where, etc.
  • Giant stress ball in my stomach. It's always there.
  • Feeling off-center, disconnected from reality. Feeling late to the party all the time.
  • A feeling of surviving rather than living.
  • Feel like you're always in a hurry to move to the next thing. Never feel anything's done.
  • Feel like you have no time. In general and for yourself.
  • Always need to relax. You'd relax for an entire day, week, month and it won't be enough.
  • Feeling worthless, like you're bad at everything. Generalized feeling of butthurt. Feeling inferior, total lack of self confidence.
  • Racing mind when going to sleep.
  • Thinking about shit from the past. You're feeling good today? Let's think about something from the past that made you feel bad!!
  • Procrastination.
  • I'm a home buddy. I sometimes don't feel comfortable in crowded places.
I suppose there's several kinds of anxiety. I used to take pills that did wonders, for the first time in my life, I didn't feel anxiety. You can't spend your whole life taking that crap.

I stopped those pills 2 years ago. I've been looking for new ways to relieve anxiety since then, with not much success.

Funny thing is, I'm good at hiding it. I hid it from myself for 30 years! People I work with probably don't even know I deal with it. I'm told I'm great at communicating and I seem to have a ton of self-confidence. Whaaat?!? They're probably right and I'm the one hurting myself. :(

That's where I am right now.

TimeFlipper

What about hypnotherapy in order to counter anxiety? Has anyone here ever done this?

I few people told me about this, that it could work. I'm not quite convinced to try it yet.

What do you think?
Hypnosis can help people suffering from OCD by reducing the sensitivity of the "anxiety" produced by the need to wash constantly, as an example..

TimeFlipper

If it can be of any help, here are my primary symptoms. Don't worry, I don't feel them all at once. I feel a few of them at a time, depending how I feel, how things go, what happens, when, where, etc.
  • Giant stress ball in my stomach. It's always there.
  • Feeling off-center, disconnected from reality. Feeling late to the party all the time.
  • A feeling of surviving rather than living.
  • Feel like you're always in a hurry to move to the next thing. Never feel anything's done.
  • Feel like you have no time. In general and for yourself.
  • Always need to relax. You'd relax for an entire day, week, month and it won't be enough.
  • Feeling worthless, like you're bad at everything. Generalized feeling of butthurt. Feeling inferior, total lack of self confidence.
  • Racing mind when going to sleep.
  • Thinking about shit from the past. You're feeling good today? Let's think about something from the past that made you feel bad!!
  • Procrastination.
  • I'm a home buddy. I sometimes don't feel comfortable in crowded places.
I suppose there's several kinds of anxiety. I used to take pills that did wonders, for the first time in my life, I didn't feel anxiety. You can't spend your whole life taking that crap.

I stopped those pills 2 years ago. I've been looking for new ways to relieve anxiety since then, with not much success.

Funny thing is, I'm good at hiding it. I hid it from myself for 30 years! People I work with probably don't even know I deal with it. I'm told I'm great at communicating and I seem to have a ton of self-confidence. Whaaat?!? They're probably right and I'm the one hurting myself. :(

That's where I am right now.
Your list reminded me of some people i know who are living with or have had some form of relationship with a narcissist...For example, you can never really feel relaxed, you are constantly being made to feel worthless/inferior, bad at everything...

No doubt you feel good sometimes, but then you get quickly knocked back by the narcissist...Please read up on Narcisism//Narcissists, and their sadistic behavioural patterns upon people...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I haven't been victim of a narcissist, although I understand the similarities. I'm not in a relationship with one either.

My cousin was, for a very long time. She still struggle with it sometimes. The dude out her down for more than a decade, imagine the work she had to do on herself once she became aware of the problem and dumped his ass. Wow. I admire her, and we help each other when we can.

Wind7

Staff
Anxiety is tough, I have lived through panic attacks that had me sent to the ER in the past.
I sought out treatment for them and it helped to some degree to (finally) discover some of the triggers.
I also suffer from PTSD.

Violence.
Being thrust into a crowded area or room.
Sudden voices/noises.

These are some of the triggers that cause anxiety.
I have even awoke from a deep sleep because of an attack.

I quit all the meds a long time ago.....but I ended up self medicating. (Been clean and sober for over 12 years now.)

I ended up being placed back on 1 prescription to help out...and it really does the job.

I have literally tried every homeopathic remedy possible.

The greatest help was quitting smoking!

I have never tried Hypnotherapy myself but I imagine it would be some sort of
regression therapy to find where/what your anxiety triggers are. (??)

Wind7

Staff
Your list reminded me of some people i know who are living with or have had some form of relationship with a narcissist...For example, you can never really feel relaxed, you are constantly being made to feel worthless/inferior, bad at everything...

No doubt you feel good sometimes, but then you get quickly knocked back by the narcissist...Please read up on Narcisism//Narcissists, and their sadistic behavioural patterns upon people...

I work with people whom are terribly narcissistic.
Both are my Superiors and they drive me looney most times!

:rolleyes:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Lets see. Anxiety is just the state of being anxious. So in my opinion I don't think you could hypnotize someone out of being anxious. But now the thoughts you associate with anxiousness could possibly be reprogrammed. For instance I usually associate the emotion with anticipation for something good that is about to happen. I never dwell on bad outcomes. I'm not waiting for the sky to fall.

Right. Anxiety is worrying about the future (good or bad). But, can we use hypnosis to help the person stop obsessing about the future?