I already feel that my posts would be laughed at

cyclespiral

I have started off with the most anodyne posts; there are things that I could post that would be far more contentious.

Yet I don't see the point. Someone asked for scientific proof of the occult. I gave a valid answer; the ANU [Australian National University] DOES have a paper where psychologists did a statistical study of tarot cards. Then I get a facepalm icon. Great. Someone might think that tarot cards are garbage. But I was entitled to post.

This site was recommended as one of the better sites for these topics. I don't know. Maybe my approach to the occult is too mature for this forum; most people are probably American and take a Hollywood-centric view of it. My view is very different from Hollywood motifs. Should I keep posting at all?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Thank you for sharing your feelings, really appreciate it.

Among other things, would removing the facepalm reaction make you more conformable?

Feel free to contact me in private if you feel some of the comments challenging your claims seemed disrespectful to you, we'll check them out together. There's always to sides to a story, that's why claims are usually challenged at some point. Not to harm or debunk, but to have you share more and support your story.

I, for one, enjoy your posts a lot. I'm all for the serious stuff. I encourage you to keep going, and to keep taking part in this discussion here. Your feedback is welcome.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Okay, I disabled the Facepalm reaction for now. Been thinking about it on a few occasions.

I thought it was an interesting reaction when a funny or sarcastic post deserved it. But here and there, it's not cool to have a personal story you shared or something you believe in, facepalmed. That small percentage of cases is what made me disable it.

I left the smiley though.

Maybe we can think of something else that would fill the gap. Suggestions welcome.

Mr Scientist

I have started off with the most anodyne posts; there are things that I could post that would be far more contentious.

Yet I don't see the point. Someone asked for scientific proof of the occult. I gave a valid answer; the ANU [Australian National University] DOES have a paper where psychologists did a statistical study of tarot cards. Then I get a facepalm icon. Great. Someone might think that tarot cards are garbage. But I was entitled to post.

This site was recommended as one of the better sites for these topics. I don't know. Maybe my approach to the occult is too mature for this forum; most people are probably American and take a Hollywood-centric view of it. My view is very different from Hollywood motifs. Should I keep posting at all?
Opinions are like assholes everyone's got one and they stink. Just posts your opinions with a devil-may-care attitude. There's always going to be someone who will try to besmirch what's your writing but that's life.

The word occult comes from the Latin occultus meaning knowledge that's hidden. There are lots of things that are used today that we considered at one time either esoteric or occult. Examples, hypnosis, digitalis that comes from foxglove that was once used by a cult herbalists, morphine from the opium poppy is another.The list is endless.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Relax. I get stuff like that all the time. Just let it roll. Post what you want. Some will enjoy it and some won't. Who cares? I'll take a look at your post. I don't HAVE proof of the occult, but I can take a look.

cyclespiral

FWIW I regard something like Tarot to be the exception where a statistical approach is possible. Most other types of occult are not enable to being proved scientifically; the occult by nature is subjective and involves experiences that are hard to replicate. That does not make the occult unproven. It just means that science is the wrong tool to prove it.

Harte

I haven't seen you say anything worth laughing at.

In fact, I wish you - or anyone - would say more laughable stuff.
I like to laugh.

Most of the crazy stuff that gets posted here gives me a sick feeling, not a funny feeling.

I'm aware that there is actually a "mainstream" view on the paranormal. Problem here is very few people land on it.

Harte

ErinsOnlyColour

Opinions are like assholes everyone's got one and they stink. Just posts your opinions with a devil-may-care attitude. There's always going to be someone who will try to besmirch what's your writing but that's life.

The word occult comes from the Latin occultus meaning knowledge that's hidden. There are lots of things that are used today that we considered at one time either esoteric or occult. Examples, hypnosis, digitalis that comes from foxglove that was once used by a cult herbalists, morphine from the opium poppy is another.The list is endless.
Knowledge that's hidden or secret, sounds like anything the government would know and even those beyond their reach.