I Hate Smileys (LOL)

taykair

When I first went online, soon after the dinosaurs roamed the digital plain, I was almost immediately confronted by folks saying LOL to me all the time. I assumed it stood for "lots of love", and I couldn't understand why all these strangers were being so chummy with me.

I didn't catch on to ROFL all that quickly either. Using abbreviations to communicate isn't really my kind of thing. I like complete sentences. When someone in a chatroom wrote, "I'm AFK - BRB", I asked him, "What's an AFK? What's a BRB?"

Of course, he wasn't there to answer me.

It's a generational thing, I suppose. Younger folks catch onto these things rather quickly. And there are some old farts who are, no doubt, smarter than me, who can keep up. But not me. No. I still hunt-and-peck my way through complete sentences - sometimes overly-complicated sentences involving lots of punctuation (with the occasional aside which is contained within parentheses) which tend to confuse younger readers as much as their abbreviated postings befuddle me.

Someone once chided me on my overuse - and misuse - of punctuation. I responded by writing:

"I, can't, help, it, if, I, like, commas."

The one kind of punctuation (if it can be called that) which I can't bring myself to use are those damned smileys. I not only find the use of them to be a form of lazy writing, but also a very deceptive form of writing at times. I've known quite a number of folks who will post the most vile and abusive attacks and, at the end of their diatribe, add a few smiley faces. When they are called to account for the harmful things they wrote, they simply respond, "It was obvious that I was being sarcastic. Didn't you notice the smiley face at the end?"

Yeah. I noticed the smiley. However, placing a cherry on top of a bowl of manure doesn't magically transform its contents into ice cream. If you have enough writing skill to use 700 words to describe how much you supposedly hate someone or something, then you ought to have enough skill to use context and content to make it plain that you were being sarcastic. A smiley just doesn't cut it.

I won't say that I've never used LOL instead of expending the colossal amount of energy needed to type the words "that's very amusing" or that I've never used a smiley to convey a warm thought on occasion. Most of those times, however, have been in chatrooms - not on forums or blogs. Chat, many times, requires velocity rather than verbosity. You have to get your thoughts in rather quickly, otherwise (especially for folks like me who hunt-and-peck rather than touch-type) the conversation tends to leave you behind.

Sometimes I wish that smileys had never been invented. They just make me so... so...:mad:

Last edited:

Cirrus

Sometimes I wish that smileys had never been invented. They just make me so... so...:mad:

Smileys make you turn into an angry tomato? I don't get it.

As you mentioned, online shorthand was the beast invented in chatrooms (mostly AOL) because velocity mattered. There was no way someone was going to read your oh-so-funny-remark-about-poodles if you couldn't type it in two seconds or less. Emjois, however, are bringing us back to ancient Egypt except that one emoji could mean a variety of things (don't ask me to explain the eggplant emjoi). Conversations being more frequently online than in person is devolving social communication into a bunch of pictures and memes. It's sad, really.

Now, what was my point? Oh, that's right I didn't have one. Now please enjoy this meme:

Insomnia-Meme-Never-Sleep.jpg

Mayhem

Zenith
Why dont you get your own rant thread LOL:)?

You just dont get it do ya:)

taykair

No one is listening.

Even if nobody reads my posts, it doesn't diminish my need to write them. If I had wanted a bigger audience, then there are lots of other avenues I could have taken. This is where I am, though, and this is where I'll stay - at least until Num7 gets sick of me and throws me out or gets tired of running a forum and closes it down. So far, he's not given any indication of doing either in the immediate future.

Mayhem

Zenith
Like a dead end road for example.

Hahahas, you tried to buy it and failed.

You got some weird ideas:p

taykair

Like a dead end road for example.

A dead-end road is, nevertheless, still a road.

Hahahas, you tried to buy it and failed.

I'm not particularly happy with this becoming common knowledge, but yes, I did ask Num7 if he was interested in selling the site to me. He was not. In fact, I doubt that he even took my offer to buy it seriously - which is understandable, given my penchant for humor.

You got some weird ideas

Me? Nah. You must be thinking about someone else.