I have a question.

Dinxy

I was thinking about timelines.

It seems to be the more common though amongst most folk that it is not possible to travel along one's own timeline. With that being said, and if it were the case, then why do time travellers travel, as their reasons often involve altering future events in their time?

Also, why would, if the Mandela effect is in place, would these changes occur in our timeline but serve no purpose?

Lua

If the time doesnt exist, how can we talk about time lines? I think everything is happening in this very exact moment.

Cirrus

If the time doesnt exist, how can we talk about time lines? I think everything is happening in this very exact moment.

Time definitely exists. What did you eat for breakfast today? What do you plan on having for dinner?

TimeFlipper

After repeatedly watching the whole series of a British Time-Travelling show many times called Ashes To Ashes, i have arrived at the conclusion that the show has brought up an explanation of how and why Time-Travel to the past could exist.....It has nothing to do with Time-Machines, its about when we are about to die!..

Imagine that the time difference, in this world, is that when we die, we actually die within one second....However, when we are transported to "another world", three years in this "other world", represents only one second in this world...

Now this "other world" is actually THIS world of ours, but its now 27 years in the PAST....however we dont age 27 years, we stay at the same age that we were at the moment of our dying......Going back to that show Ashes to Ashes..... Detective Inspector Alex Drake, a police psychological profiler in 2008, is shot in the head and wakes up on a boat, dressed as a prostitute, and the year is now 1981...

In the world of 1981 she meets people whom she knows, but they are all 27 years younger, including herself who is now only five years old...Obviously all those other people (including her younger self) have no idea who she is, and she is now effectively on her own!!..
She (Alex Drake) discovers that she has a PURPOSE in this past world, however she cannot change anything, such as trying to save her parents lives when they are blown up in a car....The show has lots of humour, jokes, silly put downs, one liners, and adventures, including a worthy explanation of Time Travelling to the past...What do you think?

Hopefully you can see where iam going with this story, i used the method of how Alex Drake was dying (shot in the head), only to describe one way of dying...It doesn`t matter "how" or why we are dying, it could be because of old age for example or an accident, its all about that final moment when we are all dying (the final second before death)......I`m stopping now before i get postings of "boring" TimeFlipper :rolleyes::D..

Last edited:

taykair

I think everything is happening in this very exact moment.

I think you're right - kind of.

Imagine that there is this enormous checkerboard, and that each square contains a single moment.

All of these moments exist now but, without a conscious mind to perceive them, they do not happen now. As our consciousness passes from one square to the next, we perceive time as passing and as events happening. As we leave a square it becomes inactive for us - although it may still be active due to another consciousness occupying that square. As we move along the squares, a timeline is created, but a timeline is nothing more than a way of denoting the trail which our consciousness makes along the board.

Keep in mind that the above example is only a representation. Our checkerboard would not be two- or even three-dimensional, but existing over every possible dimension.

Going back to our 2-d checkerboard, we have placed a checker (representing our consciousness) on a square, and are moving it around the board. However, when we try to lift the checker from the board in order to move it to a non-adjacent square, we find that we are unable to do so. This is because our 2-d checkerboard is a representation of existence is all of its dimensions, therefore it is not possible to find yet another dimension to move the checker into.

Time-travel (if it exists) involves the consciousness taking a path which may seem to violate the "no move to a non-adjacent square" rule, but it does not, because an adjacent square may be located in, say, the 8th dimension, which if followed would take us to a square which (in 4-d) would be perceived as being far removed from the last square we occupied.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I think you're right - kind of.

Imagine that there is this enormous checkerboard, and that each square contains a single moment.

All of these moments exist now but, without a conscious mind to perceive them, they do not happen now. As our consciousness passes from one square to the next, we perceive time as passing and as events happening. As we leave a square it becomes inactive for us - although it may still be active due to another consciousness occupying that square. As we move along the squares, a timeline is created, but a timeline is nothing more than a way of denoting the trail which our consciousness makes along the board.

Keep in mind that the above example is only a representation. Our checkerboard would not be two- or even three-dimensional, but existing over every possible dimension.

Going back to our 2-d checkerboard, we have placed a checker (representing our consciousness) on a square, and are moving it around the board. However, when we try to lift the checker from the board in order to move it to a non-adjacent square, we find that we are unable to do so. This is because our 2-d checkerboard is a representation of existence is all of its dimensions, therefore it is not possible to find yet another dimension to move the checker into.

Time-travel (if it exists) involves the consciousness taking a path which may seem to violate the "no move to a non-adjacent square" rule, but it does not, because an adjacent square may be located in, say, the 8th dimension, which if followed would take us to a square which (in 4-d) would be perceived as being far removed from the last square we occupied.

Have you figured out how to alter your path through time?