I wish I can go back to 2008

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@The_Observer - I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said here in many ways. The two main points of which I agree with you are:
  1. You shouldn't change every mistake you made in your past; in fact, you learn from most mistakes.
  2. Major catastrophic events such as the Holocaust, 9/11, and various natural disasters such as hurricanes and earthquakes need not be changed, as they were likely meant to serve a purpose.
However, just because some things were meant to be, doesn't mean everything that ever happened was. If you think and dedicate your life to the notion of changing history, you'll more than likely find at least some things worth changing. Here are a few examples, for further reading:
  • Elvis Presley and John Lennon: Still Alive - An account of what things could look like with Elvis and John Lennon being alive and well, going well into the 21st century, as well as how their premature deaths can be prevented.
  • Pioneer Renaissance Figures - An expansion of the artistic, literary, musical, etc. power of the Renaissance, through the invention of geniuses who can make the Renaissance an even more powerful force throughout Europe, as well as, in the long run, give various countries in Europe a greater artistic, literary, musical, etc. tradition.
@TimeFlipper - Are you saying that no one should be allowed to go forward or backward in time? Maybe not, but from what we've discussed numerous times before, that wouldn't necessarily be fair. And I think it's quite a bit arrogant to think that no one will ever be able to time travel. And you're not an arrogant person, TF. I think time travel has been done, continues to be done, and will be done in the future as well. :)

The_Observer

@Classicalfan626 All information has some basis of truth to it. The notion that time travel exists could be evidence that it has, is, and will be used. If you think of the following scenario and how it could play out, it supports the theory of time travel being real.

No one truly knows anything, they only repeat what they've been told. Every word you know is a word you were taught. You never invented any of the words. Every color you've seen is a color you've been told. No one can invent a color, they exist and are given names that you are told is the identity of this phenomena. Therefore, everything you know, do, say, is simply a piece of information you were presented with at one point. Your entire existence and identity is shaped around this information and how you use it. Now, if information already IS, and we're simply rediscovering it, that would mean time travel must exist, because we know about it now today. Even books of fiction have some underlying truth to them, otherwise they would not be interesting to read.

If you go back in time to a place where time travel is unheard of, and you suddenly appear in front of some primitive people, and by chance you are able to communicate with them and tell them of time travel. Once you depart, the only thing you've left behind is a footprint of your existence, a piece of information regarding how you traveled there; the notion of time travel. Will this notion be twisted into something unrecognizable throughout the generations? More than likely, yes. Does that mean there is absolutely no truth to a mysterious visitor from the heavens appearing out of thin air? No. Is there any way for definitive proof of this act? No. That's like saying you demand physical proof from a quantum experiment using linear measurements.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@Classicalfan626 All information has some basis of truth to it. The notion that time travel exists could be evidence that it has, is, and will be used. If you think of the following scenario and how it could play out, it supports the theory of time travel being real.

No one truly knows anything, they only repeat what they've been told. Every word you know is a word you were taught. You never invented any of the words. Every color you've seen is a color you've been told. No one can invent a color, they exist and are given names that you are told is the identity of this phenomena. Therefore, everything you know, do, say, is simply a piece of information you were presented with at one point. Your entire existence and identity is shaped around this information and how you use it. Now, if information already IS, and we're simply rediscovering it, that would mean time travel must exist, because we know about it now today. Even books of fiction have some underlying truth to them, otherwise they would not be interesting to read.

If you go back in time to a place where time travel is unheard of, and you suddenly appear in front of some primitive people, and by chance you are able to communicate with them and tell them of time travel. Once you depart, the only thing you've left behind is a footprint of your existence, a piece of information regarding how you traveled there; the notion of time travel. Will this notion be twisted into something unrecognizable throughout the generations? More than likely, yes. Does that mean there is absolutely no truth to a mysterious visitor from the heavens appearing out of thin air? No. Is there any way for definitive proof of this act? No. That's like saying you demand physical proof from a quantum experiment using linear measurements.
That's all some great food for thought!

Pix3l_P0w3r

@Classicalfan626

That comment above is essentially what I believe. I've seen documentaries on religion, and while they claim to be separate, all religion throughout all of time has had some similarities between them. These similarities are more than likely parts of the underlying truth behind religion. The reason religion is so bastardized is because people mistakenly take it as literal fact. I know some devout christians, and while they are generally nice people, they fully believe every word of their holy book as being truth. If it works to make someone a better person, then it can't be all bad. However, I believe our intellectual evolution is at a great divide in society. The elite know more than the working class, and this keeps them as obedient slaves. What better way to control a slave that doesn't even know it's a slave. Now, is this a premonition that the elite are the ones who will evolve in the future, off of the backs of the working class, or will all of society benefit from the truth the universe has to offer?

There is also a great divide between religion and science. Religion has the unknown (unseen, aka faith), and science has the known (seen, aka experiments). However, at the root of it all, if they are connected as one, we need to change society DRASTICALLY in order to take advantage of this for future generations. Every person is born into a specific society and taught that this is how things are. Once they grow up and go out into the real world, they see how different everyone is. It sort of builds up some unrealistic expectations which is a major cause of conflict. If everyone was taught from a standpoint of unity, we wouldn't even have a separation of religion and science, and one would influence the future direction of the other.