If I wanted to build a time machine to the past.

Kairos

5176iHv%2BLjL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

mattmachine

If anybody

Is there a way to freely read this? And does it break down the concept of past time travel? And also does it state that it’s impossible to do so within the generation we are living in? I will definitely give this a read I’m just asking your view on the book before I go buy it or read it online.

Kairos

If anybody

Is there a way to freely read this? And does it break down the concept of past time travel? And also does it state that it’s impossible to do so within the generation we are living in? I will definitely give this a read I’m just asking your view on the book before I go buy it or read it online.

I don't think you can read it for free. It costs $11 on Amazon.

No, there is currently no way to implement what he described in this.

samzeman

Huh, we're like, exactly the same situation. I'm also 19 and barely passed high (secondary) school. lol

The butterfly effect is kind of immaterial and personally I don't like it coming into discussions of time travel. You know, time travel isn't necessary for the butterfly effect, and the original analogy (A butterfly flapping its wings in Korea causes a hurricane in Brazil days later) didn't involve it, it's just a useful visualisation of the way that once you go back in time, you have already started to change things simply by being there.

samzeman

[Didn't finish, sorry]

But, changing things simply by being there happens day-to-day anyway, and you can't hold people accountable for it. Heck, even by staying inside all day today (Don't judge me!) I might have slightly weakened the floor in my bedroom, causing it to collapse in 15 years and prevent a child from escaping a housefire, or something. But, I can't possibly know that, and I can't possibly account for it or try to, because /everything/ you do does that kind of run-on chain of effect. Time travel is kind of the same. You can only really count on the huge changes you make, and then add a certain amount of butterfly-randomness to it, where a bunch of seemingly irrelevant things also happen in addition to the deliberate changes you made. It's imprecise as a method of fixing things, and much more expensive than just making amends or trying again without changing where you are in time at all.

There are many methods out there to time travel! Some will say you can go back without phsyically moving at all, using the power of your mind, and if you're more physics minded, there are hypothetical methods as well. But, nobody is proven to have ever gone back in time. IF time travel is possible in our human future, then there are a few different scenarios. First, if there's an infinite number of timelines with an infinite number of possibilities, it's just highly possible that nobody landed in ours. Since there are infinite timelines, there are infinite timelines in which no time travellers ever arrive. Probability breaks down at that point and it's essentially random, or based on factors we're unaware of currently in science. Second, the time travellers have come back in time and are hiding, or are not believed. Third, there's some other time to go back to, or time travel is so demanding, that they wouldn't choose to come back to this time specifically, and they're all, for instance, lurking on the Titanic in 1812, or in Hitler's bunker in 1945, or in their own future to escape a cataclysm and rebuild.

That leads me to the other reason why we haven't seen time travelers, that time travel is developed /so far/ into the future that this day is historically insignificant, and even this decade, century, or millennium. It's like how you wouldn't go back in time to the very beginning of the Roman empire, because it would be indistinguishable from any settlement at that time in history, and you might cause irreversible and bad changes to that empire and the rest of history, OR it's like how you wouldn't go back in time to after the fall of the Roman empire and the Dark Ages because we know very little about them historically and it would be hard to prepare for them.

Come to think of it, time travelers could probably go to the Dark Ages and stay there easier than many other modern/classical periods, because, well, it's called the Dark Ages due to a lack of written history around that era. Apparently, normal scientific progress was made, so the typical assumption that it was because of a religion imposing an anti-science methodology is wrong.

Sorry for the absolute ramble, lol. Good luck.

jiangnanah

I have a book that is talking about time travel and I like it very much so share it with everyone!Let's invent the time machine first.

Attachments

• Time travel and warp drives.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 15

NomNomNom

I don’t necessarily see myself as a danger. The change I am trying to make will only cause a tiny ripple effect. I’m not time traveling to prevent ww2 or to get winning lottery tickets I’m only doing it to fix a minor mistake. After that I will only time travel to observe.
What harm would getting yesterdays lottery numbers be? Worst case scenario, more money for building time machines.

samzeman

What harm would getting yesterdays lottery numbers be? Worst case scenario, more money for building time machines.

Worst case scenario for winning lottery tickets is that the secret government organisation that set up the lottery to trap time travellers traps you, and then uses your time machine for unethical means to enact tyranny across the entire timeline way past the point a government would naturally be able to.