If you were one, would you tell people?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Think about it.

If you were a time traveler on a mission, would you tell other people from the time period you're visiting, that you are in fact a time traveler?

Would you tell people you meet or have to work with? Or would you tell people on the Internet, on a forum like ours?

If you are very serious about your mission, that the future of man kind depends on it... would you tell anyone the truth that you're from another time, or would you consider telling people about your origins a risk for yourself and the mission?

I'm wondering if I would. I'm pretty rational, so common sense would dictate me not to tell anyone. But knowing that telling someone on the Internet, hiding behind a username is pretty harmless... maybe I would....

...Would you?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I don't think I would tell just anyone. It would have to be someone I trusted. Of course I would have to accept the fact that most people wouldn't believe me. Many women I've talked to tell me guys will make up stories just to be with them. So I think most women would tend to disbelieve. I doubt very seriously that I would tell a large group of people.

TimeFlipper

If i was a time-traveller to the past i would never tell anybody about it..with one exception.
I would be like that sci-fi movie Grand Tour, whereby time-travellers from the future go back in time to observe disasters in the 20th century
I would take ClassicalFan with me so he could try and and change what ever it is thats bothering him, but i would simply observe :D

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@TimeFlipper - Thanks for giving a nod to me! :p

Back to topic: I've been sharing my time traveling ideas already to close family and friends, as well as like-minded people online. I would like keep it that way for now, but when I do become a time traveler, it's all going to be a big secret between me, my dad, and if he's able to join, TimeFlipper himself. Then, once history is changed/corrected, it'll be all over, as I'm going to start a brand new life back to the day I was born.

Voyageur

I would tell everyone who are interested in. But the issue on earth is that people do not want to hear, do not want to believe... so it would not matter even one would tell. Seriously, think about a random group of people. For example 100 peoples. How many of them would think that timetraveller is just playing around? And even 1-3 people would believe them, how many of them would discuss with their relativies about this? And how many of them would believe this?

It is simply too weird for humans. It is simply not of what they want to experience. Same as aliens, there are evidences around the world, but people do not want to believe. Okay, maybe this is not even an 'issue', it is just what everyone wants to believe.

many of us think "why politicians do not tell all about them" but the thing we miss is that most of us do not talk with these things outside this forum, because majority is not interested in these things, do not want them to be real in their realities. And probably that is why we do not see them so often as we could see. So, even I would tell everyone, I would only meet few who would want to speak with me these things and they would do it mostly in secrecy.

MarvelFan

If i had been a time traveler, i would have not just told to anyone openly. Though being excited enough to share my knowledge about the future, i would have paid a visit to my parents, grandparents and some trusted people whom i can reveal my identity without getting myself exposed to others. Apart from presenting myself, i would have not shared any other personal information to my family members in order to ensure less damage to their future.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
While the romantic view of time travel has us imagine time travelers as folks like Marty McFly and George in the classic Time Machine movie, we have to think about the fact that future time travel might well be controlled by organisations that have close ties to the army and government.

A time traveler would then be more likely a trained/elite marine, than a guitar playing teenager in a DeLorean.

That's a very realistic and harsh point of view I agree, but it might be more or less likely to be the real deal... or not! It would all depend what kind of people/organisation get to use time travel and send people through time.

MarvelFan

@Num7 , i agree with you. We see time travel, the way movies and tv series tell us. The real deal is for the one who actually gets his hands on the tech. In real life it is hard to find a Doc like the one Marty McFly had, who can turn our dreams of time travel into reality.