Imagine that you were a time traveller

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith
Imagine that you were a time traveller who travelled back to the dark ages, but got stuck there, doomed to live out your natural life lost in time. You want people living now to know that you survived your journey and that you made it back to the dark ages but that you could never return home.
How would you send that message through the millennia in a way that would stand the rigours of real time?

Gacut

Time wanderer
I would definetly write something on a big rock or scrub something on a tree with a knife.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
You'd probably have to agree with then about a way of leaving a message, otherwise they might not be able to find or understand the message.

Something on a rock would make sense.

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith
I think a tree might die unless it was a Redwood. If it did live long enough then it would probably heal itself over the millennia and the message would be lost.
A rock is good but where would you leave it? The technology wouldn't exist for you to build a free standing structure substantial enough to survive a couple of thousand years so I guess a cave somewhere maybe. Anywhere else and the rain would erode the evidence away.
If it was me then I think I would look to seal it in shallow water somewhere, a lake or shallow sea.

Gacut

Time wanderer
...Or just write really good book. Like a masterpiece that would last forever. And on last pages just write "Im well in 595 A.D."

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Imagine that you were a time traveller who travelled back to the dark ages, but got stuck there, doomed to live out your natural life lost in time. You want people living now to know that you survived your journey and that you made it back to the dark ages but that you could never return home.
How would you send that message through the millennia in a way that would stand the rigours of real time?

Art. Books. You'd have to befriend upcoming famous artists and writers.

Assuming you are living in the same area, you could bury a message in the hopes that it would remain in tact.

Last edited:

Gacut

Time wanderer

Art. Books. You'd have to befriend upcoming famous artists and books.

Assuming you are living in the same area, you could bury a message in the hopes that it would remain in tact.

That made me think. Maybe Artists like DaVinci, that leave some messages in their paintings, wanted to send it trough centuries that time travel is possible. Egyptian herogliphs might have that kind of message as well.

mth.gif

paradox404

One way is to build a structure that is odd for the time period.

For instance, acquire the assistance of metalworkers to create frames and stuff for what would appear to be modern technology. A similar plot to an episode of Capaldi's doctor, you create as much noise as you can, allowing your mates in the future to find you, simply based on that noise.

IF you write on a rock, it might survive the test of time, assuming it doesn't get covered in graffiti or eroded by the weather.

That said, if you do create a lot of noise, its advisable to keep it to a level that doesn't impact the culture or technology level of the society you find yourself in... Advancing them too much could cause issues, like the alternate recovery team might not exist due to that society being accelerated without safety, causing the creator's ancestor to be killed thus they never exist and you're stranded there indefinitely...

There are a lot of variables to this... :)

gizi agresta

i am sure your bone structure would reveal you were not of that time period so maybe making sure you are buried or otherwise disposed of in an area that might be discovered by future archeologists.
although very archaic there were still writing tablets, early forms of papers, or cloth that you could write stuff down on. preservation would likely be the biggest obstacle. also not quickly succumbing to some horrible disease.