In our dualistic world, would unconditional love create unconditional hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic Christian

Some say that Yahweh, offers unconditional love to all and that we are to love our enemies.

This goes against his and our dualistic thinking.

Unconditional love would have it’s opposite in a dualistic world. Unconditional hate. I do not see that as existing and thus cannot see unconditional love existing.

Should love and hate have conditions? Does yours?

Regards
DL

Navigator

Only as much as unconditional hate creates unconditional love. We could apply the formula of unification of the opposites to transmute the duality, and view unconditional love and unconditional hate as two points on the same continuum. Do these polarized absolutes exist, or are they just limits that we can only approach? Does existence of a thing imply existence of its opposite, or even the existence of anything else? Would the opposite of unconditional love be unconditional hate, or would it be love with conditions, or would it simply be the absence of love?
Should love and hate have conditions?
When others have expectations about who we love and hate, do these conditions make any difference on how we actually feel about anyone? When we impose conditions on the who, what, when, where, why, and how of love and hate, are they still love and hate, or merely scripts to perform in response to baser emotions so that we can all get along in society? Where does unconditional love end and conditional love begin?
Does yours?
I see conditional love as false love, or at least as falling short and missing the mark. I also see unconditional love as a lofty ideal that we can only ascribe to. Yet real love does exist, so it seems that we need this absolute, this concept of unconditional love, even though we always seem to fall short. Otherwise, we would be missing the boat completely. I do not intend to put conditions on love and hate, but being human, I can see how conditions can eventually sneak in to the equation.

In order to approach an answer to any of these questions, it appears that we must first answer some of the big existential questions that have been circulating for millennia. Like always, we are back to forever chasing our own tail.

alpha centauri

That is wrong. In that case, psychopaths would be the most loving people. But they lack love. Look here is a description:
  • Boldness. Low fear including stress-tolerance, toleration of unfamiliarity and danger, and high self-confidence and social assertiveness. The PCL-R measures this relatively poorly and mainly through Facet 1 of Factor 1. Similar to PPI fearless dominance. May correspond to differences in the amygdala and other neurological systems associated with fear.[1][4]
  • Disinhibition. Poor impulse control including problems with planning and foresight, lacking affect and urge control, demand for immediate gratification, and poor behavioral restraints. Similar to PCL-R Factor 2 and PPI impulsive antisociality. May correspond to impairments in frontal lobe systems that are involved in such control.[1][4]
  • Meanness. Lacking empathy and close attachments with others, disdain of close attachments, use of cruelty to gain empowerment, exploitative tendencies, defiance of authority, and destructive excitement seeking. The PCL-R in general is related to this but in particular some elements in Factor 1. Similar to PPI, but also includes elements of subscales in impulsive antisociality.[1][4]

So those people must be the most loving people. But they are not.

Unconditional love would have it’s opposite in a dualistic world. Unconditional hate. I do not see that as existing and thus cannot see unconditional love existing.

Should love and hate have conditions? Does yours?
No. The opposite of love is non-love. That is the mathematical (scientific) definition.

Some people think the opposite of dog is cat, too. That is a similar mistake. The opposite of dog is non-dog. You just add a non before the word and you have the opposite. The opposite is everything else. So you have dogs and everything that is not a dog.

The spiritual (hermetic) view is:
Hate is the negative electric fluid and that you can balance with love that is the positive magnetic element. But that does not mean hate and love are opposite, only because love eradicates hate.

Unconditional love is usually the perfect balance of all elements (in a positive way). Unconditional hate is the negative balance of all elements. You have a balance of both fluids in both conditions (unconditional love and unconditional hate) , but that does not mean they are opposites and need each other. Science is against it.

Yeats

If you think about it for a bit, "unconditional" is a rather meaningless word, as far as the universe is concerned, since nothing in the universe can exist without a condition which preceded it. (We call it "time".) We are conditional beings -- like it or not -- and we cannot say, or do, or think, or feel anything which has not been "pre-conditioned" by the past.

As for dualism, I don't believe that human beings were meant to exist in either a fearful darkness or in a blinding light -- but rather in the large spectrum in between the two.

Gnostic Christian

If you think about it for a bit, "unconditional" is a rather meaningless word, as far as the universe is concerned, since nothing in the universe can exist without a condition which preceded it. (We call it "time".) We are conditional beings -- like it or not -- and we cannot say, or do, or think, or feel anything which has not been "pre-conditioned" by the past.

As for dualism, I don't believe that human beings were meant to exist in either a fearful darkness or in a blinding light -- but rather in the large spectrum in between the two.
I agree.

Nice to see one who thinks in extremes.

We are all climbing Jacob's ladder. We just do not all know what rung we are on.

The students try to teach the teachers.

One logical condition to love is knowing that which is to be loved.

In our dualistic consciousness, we automatically create it's dualistic twin, hate.

When we choose what is to be loved, a hate bias against whatever might threaten that which we love is created.

Regards
DL

Yeats

We are all climbing Jacob's ladder. We just do not all know what rung we are on.
I would say that none of us knows what rung we are on, and it doesn't really matter. Considering the number of rungs on that ladder, even the worst of us are only just a few rungs down from the best of us.

The students try to teach the teachers
Good for them! And good for the teachers, too.

Gnostic Christian

I would say that none of us knows what rung we are on, and it doesn't really matter. Considering the number of rungs on that ladder, even the worst of us are only just a few rungs down from the best of us.

Good for them! And good for the teachers, too.
Not when it is just obtuse gibberish from the dim who refuse to learn or even think.

Regards
DL

Status
Not open for further replies.