Interesting Physics Phenomena

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I seen this in Mythbusters Jr. the episode titled Gravity. They started with a slinky toy and graduated up to a car. A weight was attached to the bottom of a slinky and then the slinky was dropped. The weight hovered until the slinky stopped contracting. It's like gravity was switched off briefly. Check it out:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
What I found so interesting was that no one used any of the advanced measuring tools we have at our disposal to gather data while the slinky begins its collapse. A gravitational body undergoing a gravitational acceleration becomes weightless. Would sensors attached to the slinky at various points along the collapse show weightlessness? The bottom of the slinky stands still. Is the bottom weightless or does it have weight?

The whole phenomena looks like new information we could add to wave phenomena. And quite possibly a round about way to understand what Ed Leedskalnin understood in order to build Coral Castle.

Treversal

What I found so interesting was that no one used any of the advanced measuring tools we have at our disposal to gather data while the slinky begins its collapse. A gravitational body undergoing a gravitational acceleration becomes weightless. Would sensors attached to the slinky at various points along the collapse show weightlessness? The bottom of the slinky stands still. Is the bottom weightless or does it have weight?

The whole phenomena looks like new information we could add to wave phenomena. And quite possibly a round about way to understand what Ed Leedskalnin understood in order to build Coral Castle.
That video blew my mind. I sent it to a scientist I know and I'm waiting to see what he has to say. It's as if we are living in a computer program and the programmers never thought of how an object in that shape would behave while falling.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
That video blew my mind. I sent it to a scientist I know and I'm waiting to see what he has to say. It's as if we are living in a computer program and the programmers never thought of how an object in that shape would behave while falling.

I see a lot of speculation on what is going on. Apparently on one actually has gathered enough real data to show what is actually happening.

Treversal

I see a lot of speculation on what is going on. Apparently on one actually has gathered enough real data to show what is actually happening.
The best explanation I have heard, which is still difficult to accept, is that a horizontal slinky stretched and released will move toward its center from both ends simultaneously. But when it is suspended vertically the bottom part fights against gravity and its upward force is cancelled out by the force of gravity so that it does not move. But is the slinky's contracting force always equal to gravity - because of mass/weight/size no matter the material(s) used? Seems strange that no slinky would move up even a little but will always be precisely cancelled out by gravity - if that is the case.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
The best explanation I have heard, which is still difficult to accept, is that a horizontal slinky stretched and released will move toward its center from both ends simultaneously. But when it is suspended vertically the bottom part fights against gravity and its upward force is cancelled out by the force of gravity so that it does not move. But is the slinky's contracting force always equal to gravity - because of mass/weight/size no matter the material(s) used? Seems strange that no slinky would move up even a little but will always be precisely cancelled out by gravity - if that is the case.

I just recently discovered this phenomena. Though apparently it has been known about for years. Remember an explanation isn't fact. Just someone telling you something to stifle your curiosity. I'm curios enough to put every modern tech measuring device into use to better understand it. To me, this looks like a wave phenomena directly connected to gravity. I seen one of these videos showing the bottom end of the slinky rotating.

Treversal

I just recently discovered this phenomena. Though apparently it has been known about for years. Remember an explanation isn't fact. Just someone telling you something to stifle your curiosity. I'm curios enough to put every modern tech measuring device into use to better understand it. To me, this looks like a wave phenomena directly connected to gravity. I seen one of these videos showing the bottom end of the slinky rotating.
Rotating? Gravity? Interesting. That reminds me, I saw something about gravity and sound earlier, I'll try to post it later.