Is Reality Passé?

Yeats

"Age is an illusion. It's how you put yourself out there that's real."

I saw a commercial recently which featured someone making this claim, and I could not help wondering whether it was simply another way of saying "you're as young as you feel" or if it was yet another symptom of how fractured the reality of modern man has become.

Think about it. Age can be quantified. If one was born 30 years ago, then one is 30 years of age. That is surely not an illusion. It is reality. It is how one puts oneself "out there" which smacks of illusion. It is the public mask which we wear which hides our true self.

And yet the reality is claimed to be the illusion, while the illusion is purported to be real. Is this what we have become? Has modern man become so addled and delusional that he now believes that fact is no longer fact, and that pretense is reality? Is it true, as a friend once said to me, that it is no longer necessary to be, but only to seem?

dimension-1hacker

I saw a commercial recently which featured someone making this claim, and I could not help wondering whether it was simply another way of saying "you're as young as you feel" or if it was yet another symptom of how fractured the reality of modern man has become.

Think about it. Age can be quantified. If one was born 30 years ago, then one is 30 years of age. That is surely not an illusion. It is reality. It is how one puts oneself "out there" which smacks of illusion. It is the public mask which we wear which hides our true self.

And yet the reality is claimed to be the illusion, while the illusion is purported to be real. Is this what we have become? Has modern man become so addled and delusional that he now believes that fact is no longer fact, and that pretense is reality? Is it true, as a friend once said to me, that it is no longer necessary to be, but only to seem?
it was always to seem, every culture is based off seem, the mask people where in social situations is a mask, so good they conceal what they want to themselves, the concealment of lacking in usually every form of knowledge, the mask defines them. age is an illusion, what matters is who you are and who you decide to be and not being ruled by cultural pre conceptions of what should or should not be done or thought.

"age is an illusion", which is the illusion that can define you during every step of your life. How you put yourself out there is what is real meaning
or could be interpeted as do not let age hold you back do what you want to do perhaps.freedom of choice you choose what you want to be, try if you dare.

OakFieldAlienz444

God has killed more people then hitler correct? Hitler just copied god

It was most likely just a way to make older people feel better about themselves and not meant to
trigger a bigtime philosophical discussion. But it was actually always like this about everything
not just age. People are never really their true selves in public most of the time.
Nothing is real. You DO have a point. That doesn't justify age shaming though.

ThumberOne

it was always to seem, every culture is based off seem, the mask people where in social situations is a mask, so good they conceal what they want to themselves, the concealment of lacking in usually every form of knowledge, the mask defines them. age is an illusion, what matters is who you are and who you decide to be and not being ruled by cultural pre conceptions of what should or should not be done or thought.

"age is an illusion", which is the illusion that can define you during every step of your life. How you put yourself out there is what is real meaning
or could be interpeted as do not let age hold you back do what you want to do perhaps.freedom of choice you choose what you want to be, try if you dare.

Sort of reminds me of Descartes's famous quotes and Boltzman brain. Even if reality is not real, there are thing out of our control