Is warping the sense of time considered time travel?

Element115

We all know time is relative. Relative to what you may ask (that means you don't know then). Time is relative to your gravitational field and your body chemistry. Einstein proved that by accelerating your speed will slow down your time. He did this through the infamous nuclear clock experiment. Speeding oneself up, is adding to your gravitational pull. Some other entities on our planet also experience differential time dilation due to their size and speed at which they operate. A fly or mosquito for example has time slowed down. It's why they can see you coming with the fly swatter, because they process information faster. You can also experience such phenomena with drugs, or near-death experiences in which time seems to slow down as your brain processes the information of your surroundings at a higher rate.

Therefore, when one speaks of time travel or time travel devices, what are the direct implications of said device? Is the device acting as a gravitational field distortion unit, or is it changing your perception? In either case, what is considered "TIME TRAVEL". This is an open forum for discussion on the premise of time travel and what it directly entails. Do you need to physically travel to another time period or can you simply speed yourself up to the point that you're still the same age but everything around you has changed drastically? Do you need to traverse timelines or universes to have considered time traveled?

Element115

That's just a 1:1 ratio of time travel IE: what one experiences normally. Ex: I go to the fridge for a sammich and I take a dump. Regular life. 1:1 travel through space/time. I would infer that time travel is of the abnormal. Such as a device altering your perception, gravity, location, etc.

Notime

Perception. I’ve had a drug that would stop Netflix. I’ve had days at work that felt like months.
Time at home flies so fast. So is it an illusion. Is time the ruler of our reality? A construct to keep us still. We obey it like a god and it is said we construct our own reality, so what if we could ignore it. Try it and see how deeply it is embedded into every strand of our being. And watch the Dark.

Harte

That's just a 1:1 ratio of time travel IE: what one experiences normally. Ex: I go to the fridge for a sammich and I take a dump. Regular life. 1:1 travel through space/time. I would infer that time travel is of the abnormal. Such as a device altering your perception, gravity, location, etc.
The Earth's gravitational well isn't large enough to dilate time in an appreciable way unless you're measuring in microseconds. No animal on Earth travels fast enough to experience time dilation in any measurable way. It can be calculated - and I'll tell you how if you want - but the difference is FAR too minuscule to be measured.

Harte

TimeFlipper

I seem to recall back in 1961 after Yuri Gagarin orbited the Earth just once, he returned back to discover he was one 20 thousandth of a second younger, than he would have been if he had never orbited the Earth at all...So that's how Superman went back in time is it? :oops:..

Last edited:

Harte

You're probably thinking of the Apollo astronauts, who spent days traveling at much higher velocity that Gagarin ever did.

Harte