It Was Expected

Yeats

First there was this...

… and then this happened...

… and then the left reacted in their typical fashion.

It was expected, was it not?

Yeats

I apologize for the flippant response.

I assume that you refer to the latest "bombshell" which has proven "beyond all doubt" just how evil Mr. Trump is supposed to be. Why, he actually had the gall to "downplay" the seriousness of the China virus! This is inexcusable! Monstrous!

Then again, so were the Chinese, when they delayed reporting about the virus for several months.

So was the World Heath Organization when they reported that there was no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the virus.

So were House Speaker Pelosi and Mayor de Blasio when they downplayed the seriousness of the disease and encouraged citizens to go about their normal lives.

So was Governor Cuomo when he saw no problem with placing infected patients in nursing homes instead of the medical facilities which were available to him.

So was Mr. Biden when he opposed Mr. Trump's initial response of temporary closure of the borders due to the virus.

When FDR chatted by the fireside with the American people and told them that things would be better, he was not downplaying the seriousness of the Great Depression or the looming spectre of fascism that was beginning to threaten the world. Nor was Mr. Trump attempting a deception whenever he told us that our present situation was not as bad as it could have been, and would also improve in time. That is part of presidential leadership, to offer hope and optimism in dark times.

I suppose that Mr. Trump could have simply gone the way of former President Carter. (Remember the "malaise" speech?) He could have instilled fear, depression and hopelessness in the hearts of Americans, thus making matters even worse.

I am rather glad that he did not.

Yeats

But tell me what you think. Should the Nobel Peace Prize be ended simply because Mr. Trump has (quite rightly, I think) been nominated for it?

Witch Hunt

I apologize for the flippant response.

I assume that you refer to the latest "bombshell" which has proven "beyond all doubt" just how evil Mr. Trump is supposed to be. Why, he actually had the gall to "downplay" the seriousness of the China virus! This is inexcusable! Monstrous!

Then again, so were the Chinese, when they delayed reporting about the virus for several months.

So was the World Heath Organization when they reported that there was no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the virus.

So were House Speaker Pelosi and Mayor de Blasio when they downplayed the seriousness of the disease and encouraged citizens to go about their normal lives.

So was Governor Cuomo when he saw no problem with placing infected patients in nursing homes instead of the medical facilities which were available to him.

So was Mr. Biden when he opposed Mr. Trump's initial response of temporary closure of the borders due to the virus.

When FDR chatted by the fireside with the American people and told them that things would be better, he was not downplaying the seriousness of the Great Depression or the looming spectre of fascism that was beginning to threaten the world. Nor was Mr. Trump attempting a deception whenever he told us that our present situation was not as bad as it could have been, and would also improve in time. That is part of presidential leadership, to offer hope and optimism in dark times.

I suppose that Mr. Trump could have simply gone the way of former President Carter. (Remember the "malaise" speech?) He could have instilled fear, depression and hopelessness in the hearts of Americans, thus making matters even worse.

I am rather glad that he did not.

OUCH!!!

HeraldOfTruth

But tell me what you think. Should the Nobel Peace Prize be ended simply because Mr. Trump has (quite rightly, I think) been nominated for it?

I will address your previous post soon, but no, I certainly do not think it should be. Although, despite being accused of being a leftist shmuck so many times, I actually consider myself a left-leaning moderate. I don’t really think Trump was a good choice, but it doesn’t mean the prize should be taken away, cancelled, or made to skip over a year if no “good” candidate is found. As much as I think he mucked up international relationships and created a dangerous power vacuum in the Middle-East originally and likely even now, but I suppose he did at least try, even if not very well. It’s not a clear cut issue, no matter which way it is sliced though.

Yeats

Mr. Trump did indeed err in the beginning of his administration by putting warmonger neo-conservatives such as John Bolton in positions of power. He has since corrected those mistakes.

I find it rather strange that the left, who once called for a complete withdrawal from our "forever war" in Afghanistan now believes that it is imperative that the US should stay there, or is suddenly concerned with the "power vacuum" which would be left by our absence. Where was all this concern a decade ago?

"Butter, not guns" used to be the standard response from the left. They used to believe that our dealings with other nations should be marked by peaceful trade instead of conflict and war. We now have a President who believes in precisely that, but I suppose that if orange man is supposed to be bad, then he must always be bad.

OakFieldAlienz444

I will address your previous post soon, but no, I certainly do not think it should be. Although, despite being accused of being a leftist shmuck so many times, I actually consider myself a left-leaning moderate. I don’t really think Trump was a good choice, but it doesn’t mean the prize should be taken away, cancelled, or made to skip over a year if no “good” candidate is found. As much as I think he mucked up international relationships and created a dangerous power vacuum in the Middle-East originally and likely even now, but I suppose he did at least try, even if not very well. It’s not a clear cut issue, no matter which way it is sliced though.

The situation in the world is far from perfect and could very likely get worse but the thing is
President Trump is actually the most peace-driven peaceful president we've had for at least the past
decade or so actually. Far fewer wars---especially when you consider all the wars we were in
with Bush and Obama---and then Obama gets the peace prize?

Trump is more suited for the Nobel Peace Prize than anyone we've had. This is coming from someone who doesn't agree with everything Trump does or says.