John Titor + IBM Mainframe Computers

HDRKID

IBM still builds mainframes in 2017 - yes.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/16/i...cryption-to-lure-buyers-to-new-z14-mainframe/

This helps support what John Titor told us.

Back in 2000 many people told me that John Titor was wrong... because in the future IBM would not build mainframe computers anymore. Well, here we are. John Titor claimed that he was sent back to the year 1975 to retrieve an IBM 5100 computer, that portable device was needed to help debug old IBM mainframe computers that in the year 2036 were still in use. OK, so the IBM 5100 had the undocumented ability to emulate programs in older languages used by IBM 360 mainframes, but the company was worried about how its competition might use this information, so they told no one.

heka2015

Stranger than Fiction

I don't get it.
You want people to believe Titor is real, but in the same moment you are spreading misinformation.
IBM still builds mainframes in 2017 - yes.
Who told you they won't fabricate mainframes until now? (any credible source?)
For god sake, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the old ones still do their job in CRITICAL systems.

He tried to retrieve a IBM 5100 series computer, and in the chat log he mentions only the 5110.
Paula supposedly (supposedly because i don't have direct confirmation) received a label what looks like fabric to me, and clearly says 5110.
pamelas_label_5110.jpg
Just for information sake, the anomalies.com pictures of the 5120 are NOT from TITOR and were send from some olaf to pamela cause she couldn't find a pic back then.
BUT the 5120 was nothing else than a 5110 in a new skirt with two floppy disk.
The manual even says 5110 Model 3 and on the side 5120. (would be my pick if I had to decide)
OK, so the IBM 5100 had the undocumented ability to emulate programs in older languages used by IBM 360 mainframes, but the company was worried about how its competition might use this information, so they told no one.
That's not really precise information either.
The ability of APL and BASIC was announced and a feature (you could even chose to have only one), with a switch in front to change it. (reboot needed, not on the fly)
System/360 is not a language, APL is.
It simulated not emulated (i know IBM used the word emulated but it's the wrong use).
APL was available under System/360 and Basic under simulated System/3.
Implementation wasn't 100% either, this is documented for APL at least.
Those processor were not hardwired RISC processors, like we are used to now.
Those computer had a PALM processor micro-codable (look up microcode).
To put it the easy way, the microcode simulates the hardwiring of a processor (someone will kill me for explaining it that way). So you can WRITE a new/old processor and FIX it if something is wrong.

Why hide this you ask?
You go figure what happens today, if somebody figures out you could take an Intel chip and make it any other chip you want switching the microcoding in the ROS chip (nowadays they would call it ROM).

You can check on everything.
If needed, I provide you with source.

One more thing: Assuming there is something to this story.
IMHO I do not believe his grandfather was on the team of IBM engineers, but he sure had something to do with it.
At the core.

Last edited: