John Titor's 67 Vette

Sound Judgment

Addendums are fun, right? This allows us for more to consider... especially that Pesky Rooftop question! We felt that we had nailed down the travel-car and model to being a Convertible roof, based on these factors:

1. The Passenger-Side Window in the photograph, had the unusual Front-Swept angular 'cut' at the back-side of the glass. This is not seen in the other Mid-'60s Corvette models (or so I thought).

2. The window is rolled UP, but there is nothing attached TO the back of the passenger glass. No trim, door edge, body-frame or molding... leading to the assumption that this was indeed a convertible model with the top in the DOWN position.

3. The high up, tilted-down angle of the camera-position and how it was able to capture the entire Interior of the Corvette passenger area (both driver and passenger-side) without obstruction from the roof itself. Johnny may travel through time and space, but he shouldn't have been able to take X-Ray photos that can see through metal. Haha.

4. If it was a 'fixed' rooftop model, it would be nearly impossible to simply 'shove' that precious G.E. Time-Machine in through the passenger OR driver-side door frame into such a small car-interior. The travel-trunk is four-feet+ in length(?) and NO one would dare take the risk of damaging that precious cargo by such a fool-hearty move.

Well, now there is another possible explanation. It could be due to the car having a Convertible-top as thought, OR... A REMOVABLE HARD-TOP:

49589_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Wow, talk about 'Take your Car to Work Day!' Both the Cloth Convertible model of the 1966 Corvette C2... and the REMOVABLE Hardtop models sport the exact same forward cut door-glass window design:

1966_Corvette_Hard_Top_Blueprint.JPG

Having one or the other easily explains the ability for Johnny to place in, and extract the G.E. Box without damage to either the Classic Car OR the C204 Travel-Unit. Just pop the rooftop off, whether made of cloth or otherwise (metal/fiberglass?) place the C204 in or take it out... place top back on... lock it down and ride off into the sunset!
$T2eC16VHJH4FHdkvedDnBSGk1bpK2!~~60_12.JPG

Of course, he would have to bring the top along for the ride BOTH ways, if he was smart. I am sure he was, so it would have to stay secured and locked down to the body-frame each time. But there should be enough room for Johnny, the C204 on the passenger seat, and a small over-nighter shoved behind the seats or perhaps up-front in the passenger leg-well (there would be enough room because the C204 is elevated up by the passenger-seat cushion) for good measure.

c538190e27_640.jpg

Also: the pushing of the Passenger seat-back FORWARD and kept DOWN for the C204 trunk to rest upon... explains why there is no Passenger Seat SEEN in the actual John-Evidence Corvette Photo itself. No matter how it was accomplished.. it was a TIGHT fit in there! So the passenger-seat was either:

1. Folded OVER with the C204 placed upon the top of it. -- This is what *I* believe happened, given other photographic details found in that one picture.

2. Folded Backwards and flat (if physically possible). -- Highly unlikely and would be damaging to both car and cargo!

3. Removed altogether ... the top-half totally separated from the bottom-half of the passenger seat itself and left behind. Again this is unlikely given it would greatly disfigure this beauty, but the fact that the seat CAN be folded down makes this option unnecessary if space for the C204 itself is not an issue.

Remember, Johnny not only had to travel back in time to 1975, but he also had to drive from Tampa(?) to IBM-Land in the mid-west to snag his precious 5100 cargo.. AND be home at Mama's in time for dinner. Okay, we'll forgive him that last part if he didn't make it in time, but there's no excuse for getting everything inside rained upon along the way! ;)

CA0812-133758_2.jpg

So now, given that we believe it would be possible for the car to EITHER be a Convertible OR a REMOVABLE (not fixed) Hardtop... the above image gives us another choice to pick from for our famed *Johnny Mach-5* Chevy Corvette C2.

Last edited:

Samstwitch

SJ, I'm glad that you brought up the removable hard top. I don't have time to research and post the quotes now, but John talked about the importance of having the windows of the vehicle UP during time travel trips, due to heat and other dangerous conditions surrounding his vehicle during time travel. When you suggested the Corvette was a convertible, I knew it couldn't have been a soft top for this reason. However, I didn't know there were Corvettes with removable hard tops. The photo John posted does appear to have been taken from above, as if the car were a convertible. So now this new information that you posted may be the answer. John's car may have had a removable hard top. Thanks for posting that info!

Sound Judgment

SJ, I'm glad that you brought up the removable hard top. ... The photo John posted does appear to have been taken from above, as if the car were a convertible. So now this new information that you posted may be the answer. John's car may have had a removable hard top. Thanks for posting that info!

Sounds about right. And let's not forget the response to the '67 Chevy' question to TT_0 back on the original forum, posted 06 November 2000 09:04:

TT_0: "I first saw the car in 2036. The idea was to find a vehicle that would
not draw too much attention for the time period. Unfortunately, there were not
very many suitable vehicles around in 2036 and I sold the car when I arrived in
2000."

Plus he later stated:

TT_0: "Yes...that's about right but my initial trip was to 1975, not 2000."

Hence we know from his words that this was the car ORIGINALLY used in his first jump from 2036. So that car had to be preserved well, to be mechanically fit and clean enough from the Mid-sixities up to that 2036 point in time. John obviously used it back on his first couple of Jumps ( 2036 -----> 1975 -----> 2000) , and not just 'bought it' on a whim while in hanging out in our current time-line.

The fact that he SOLD it to someone else in 2000... is in itself intriguing. Who would 'legally' have purchased such a vehicle from John back in the year 2000 and dealing with all the Titling, Insurance and State Tag issues involved? The world (may or) may never know. :)

Last edited:

Ren

The fact that he SOLD it to someone else in 2000... is in itself intriguing. Who would 'legally' have purchased such a vehicle from John back in the year 2000 and dealing with all the Titling, Insurance and State Tag issues involved? The world (may or) may never know. :)

Thus, the movie Corvette Summer (1978) with Mark Hamill.