Keto/Atkins/Low Carb

Kairos

The good news is that it sounds like OP has at least a few acres of land she can convert into an organic garden. That burns calories to produce food for yourself, and the food is nutritious. Growing in that Florida sugar sand is not as necessarily great, but there are workarounds.

The good news is that it sounds like OP has at least a few acres of land she can convert into an organic garden. That burns calories to produce food for yourself, and the food is nutritious. Growing in that Florida sugar sand is not as necessarily great, but there are workarounds.

Takes a lot of effort and isn't easy, that's for sure. Florida has some warm temperatures to grow year round. Lost some broccoli that bolted because of the varying degrees in weather. Lost cabbage too because of the weather, just when they were beginning to look beautiful. Ugh... Every area seems to need work arounds right now. In higher elevations there is a shorter season to grow.

All I know is that everyone is doing the best they can in life and personal goals. Sounds like OP is working her butt off too.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I can see you haven't tried fasting yet. That has worked several times for me. Get through the first three days and you lose your bodies eating time urges. After that it's easy. Then there is cross training. Bicycle for an hour the first day. Run for an hour the second day. Then swim for an hour the third day. Repeat this cycle over and over. Your body never gets used to the continued change in routine. The result is an increase in your metabolism thus burning up more calories.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
This is the problem, though. You really do need to increase your exercise and increase your calorie intake. Your metabolism is slowing down because your body adapts to calorie deficits over time. Calorie deficits are short-term fixes.

Interesting --- more calories but more exercise with it. I think I understand now. I thought you were saying I don't exercise enough.
Sorry for being defensive. I'll have to figure out a way to do that. I'm on my feet a lot already. lol

I guess it explains why cutting my carbs in half and reducing my calories has done nothing. I am putting myself in starvation mode.

There is no easy way out of it, unfortunately.

That, I know. There is no magic pill. It will take work.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I can see you haven't tried fasting yet. That has worked several times for me. Get through the first three days and you lose your bodies eating time urges. After that it's easy. Then there is cross training. Bicycle for an hour the first day. Run for an hour the second day. Then swim for an hour the third day. Repeat this cycle over and over. Your body never gets used to the continued change in routine. The result is an increase in your metabolism thus burning up more calories.

I am hypoglycemic. I absolutely HAVE to eat at wake up, 10:30, 2:00, 5:00, 8:00 --- I eat small meals. This can be "fixed" by eating a super large breakfast or lunch, but who has time for that? I get shaky, grumpy, and get headaches quickly after these times if I don't eat.
I even have to have lunch at 10:30 regardless of what time I had breakfast. It starts with grumpies, then sweat, then shakes. So, I cannot starve (fast).

Kairos

Interesting --- more calories but more exercise with it. I think I understand now. I thought you were saying I don't exercise enough.
Sorry for being defensive. I'll have to figure out a way to do that. I'm on my feet a lot already. lol

I guess it explains why cutting my carbs in half and reducing my calories has done nothing. I am putting myself in starvation mode.

That, I know. There is no magic pill. It will take work.

That is exactly right. What works in the short term but hurts you in the long term is being in a caloric deficit while maintaining a very basic amount of exercise. The stuff you see in pop articles about exercising moderately about an hour a day is bare minimum. If you run a deficit doing that, then your body will just adjust its metabolism and you will keep chasing lower and lower calorie intakes, becoming increasingly miserable and hopeless.

How much you can do is determined by your health. But the more exercise you can do the better. Consider how people used to live. Most people used to live on subsistence farming, barter, and small trades all combined. Even women used to work all day at home (and it was hard work back then) in addition to out in the fields during much of the year. Men would perform extremely intense manual labor almost every day for eight or more hours per day. They didn't eat healthy like we can today but few people were fat. You can eat healthy today and look like total shit, and many of the fad diets will deprive you of nutrition and cause you to get really sick as time goes on (see how an old vegan looks like total shit, with teeth and hair falling out, and looking twenty years older than their actual age).

Our bodies evolved in an environment that required extensive physical exertion and today most people have deprived themselves of exertion for more than an hour, and even then it's not really that intense. That's why our bodies get fat and sick and we age prematurely.

Kairos

Takes a lot of effort and isn't easy, that's for sure. Florida has some warm temperatures to grow year round. Lost some broccoli that bolted because of the varying degrees in weather. Lost cabbage too because of the weather, just when they were beginning to look beautiful. Ugh... Every area seems to need work arounds right now. In higher elevations there is a shorter season to grow.

All I know is that everyone is doing the best they can in life and personal goals. Sounds like OP is working her butt off too.

There are some vegetables that like that sugar sand a lot, as well as a lot of fruiting trees. But growing in raised beds and even large containers is an option. She can create or buy her own compost, mix it with some decent soil she buys, and load up a raised bed market garden or containers. You can grow fig trees in containers with wheels pretty easily. Good harvest from those.

Other options include aquaponics or something along those lines, though that has a scary initial investment.

She can probably use the land right now fairly easily to raise some meat chickens.

Kairos

To add to what I was saying before.. if your metabolism starts to slow down with high calorie intake and even higher caloric expenditures via exercise, you can back off from the exercise and lower your calories a little. Your new caloric intake is around normal at that point, so you back off to your baseline rather than start at the bottom and have to slowly increase your calories until your metabolism corrects.

titorite

I like the Atkins low carb thing. We should be eating less bread and less milk. As a species. We are made to eat fish and plants imho.

Also exercise is a thing and it sounds like you been nailing puala , good for you. I started playing pokemon go back in February myself. I aim for 50 kilometers a week. I had no idea i would lose the weight ive lost. 40 pounds lighter and still going.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Too many raccoons, possums, deer, turtles, squirrels, etc... Any garden would be destroyed. I would love to do it, but I have to stick to pots on my patio. :)