Lurker in the Dark ( Wendigo, Skinwalker, Rake ? )

Elyroze

Hello everyone! I'm a young lady from Central Europe, Hungary. I'm not speaking well enough in Enlish, so please forgive me this inconvenience while you reading my encounter. It will be a long story, so if you read it, thank you for your time and patience (you can find my story on Reddit, posted by some days ago).

Anyway, it is hard to find out what kind of creature it was, because it shows similarities with Wendigos (from warmer climates), but some people thought it was a Rake or a Skinwalker. So if you have any idea and theory about the creature please share with me and explain it the best as you can.

Well known fact that most Wendigo reports are coming from Canada, which has it’s own climate you know. But their size, shape and color of different Wendigo populations are varied by where they lives. For example in colder areas they’re usually larger, have more hair while Wendigos in warmer climates are smaller, more human-like, have a lack of hair and ‘more inventive in predatory action than brutal’. I’m convinced about it anyway. Although you can hear about Wendigos with horns, not all of them grown it.

In my country we know similar creatures what we calls as “tree-rippers” (‘fanyűvő’), while in other countries people would call them ‘Rake’, for example, but you can see even Wendigos with similar appearance and behavior.

( It's shape was very similar like this, but without horns )

The Story

I was 12 years old at this time. I've travelled with my younger brother to an old town to take a visit at my grandma and my older cousin. Her whole residence is always had a very dark and depressing atmosphere, just like the history of it, which was strongly connected to my family and relatives. It was filled with pointless brutality, murders and so on. My father also attempted suicide in a ruins of an older section of the site (weeks after he is gone) forced by voices.

From my very birth, I was already able to see and communicate every kind of Spirits and sense whatever vibes, so also sensing when something isn't ok with things, places, persons etc. I was unable to tell the others how I felt, so I've never talked about it to anyone.

We was always scared at the night, because behind the house, there was a huge and long courtyard, filled with weed, impenetrable high grass and dead animals' corpses like rats, poultries and cats. The old ruins of three building was also freaky. Animal skulls, horseshoes and old agricultural tools were hanged on the worn beam. There was no windows on them, only rusty grids. Was no doors. All of them was broken and only the saint spirit kept them somehow away from to do not fall over their place. All of these 'openings' drives our attention to the complete dark in the inside of the ruins. And very usually, we felt that someone or something is starring at us from the other side.

I've got an idea. So... sometimes we put living animals inside the building to prove to us there is no danger inside. But every time when we did it, dogs, cats, frogs and chickens, all of them found dead without any sign of physical harm. It just makes us wonder whats going on and our guts kept telling us that there is something very wrong in that place happening.

So you know it now. You can imagine how much we was
scared when we had to use the toilet. Do you ask, why? ...

... Because there was no toilet inside the house. Only outside, in the back of the yard. So, to get that point, we had to approach the ruins, so every time when we had to go outside, everyone had to woke up and go out with the others to increase our feeling of safety.

At that night...

My cousin just woke up us, and told us that he had to go outside. I've took a look at the clock, then asked him:

- "Could you keep 'it' until the sun starts risen? Only three hours left."
- "No. I can't. I have to go now."
- he answered.

I've sighted deeply, then as always, I had to go outside first (as an only girl between the kids and he was older than me). I've put the only light on, it was weak as always. That lamp was on the back side of the house, but the toilet was ~25 methers (82,02 ft) farther, so needless to say, it doesn't matter too much in that distance.

He closed the door behind him, and let us outside.

I've tried to overcome my fear, as always before everyone (to make them more brave and show them the false lie: "there is nothing to fear in the dark"). I've looked up at the Moon. It was huge, and shiny. I've starred at it when suddenly...

I've started hearing a loud, creepy barking coming from behind the ruins. It was filled with anger and also despair. I've never heard the neighbor's shepherd dog barking like this. And it slowly started sounding like a... yelling like roaring. I thought the dog possibly saw something what he wants to catch. A rat or marten, maybe? But it was suspicious anyway, because it's owner has always closed the dog in his 'workroom' to keep him safe, and closed the door all the time. While... the barking came from way closer. It was clear that it isn't coming from behind the door, far away, and this barking was similar like that dog's, but in the same time, it wasn't.

Then this whole noise has stopped. I've kept my eyes on that spot, the source of the noises, then I saw...

A huge, pale white skinned creature walking forth the ruins, on it's four long, thin legs. I've thought at the first moment this is just an another dog but it became very clear to me that no, it can't be. It's shape seemed too strange to being a dog, it was also too huge and it got no tails, and anyway... a dog's eyes can't shine in the dark in pale orange- and white colors.

My blood just got frozen in my veins. That thing just hanged around the grass and smelled the ground, then the air, then turned only it's head towards me. It noticed me, and got motionless. My younger brother took a look at me and touched my hand, because he don't even noticed the figure. Then I've whispered him:
- "Look... Before us..."
I've was able to sense how his breathing has stopped when he noticed the creature.

The creature who kept observing clearly me! My brother did some steps behind me, but didn't ran, however I felt his presence became farther. Suddenly, the figure's forelegs got lifted from the ground, and with this... I've realized that this creature is way much taller than I thought.

Now It standed only it's hind foot, and keep observed me. It's movements became more strange, when it's started moving, lifting and turning it's head, while it's eyes clearly kept on me.

I was totally vulnerable.

Got no weapons, no strenght to fight against this creature. There was NOTHING more between us just the distance, what I started counting, how many second would needed to it to ran down to catch us... the answer was easy. It is clearly not enough for us, to make a successful escape, and my cousin is still sitting on the toilet anyway.

- Seb! - I've shout to my cousin - There is something outside the backyard!
- Shut up
- he shouted back - You won't help me if you want me to shit myself in that way, idiot.

I've heard his answer, and the creature did as well.
But I didn't moved. I was unable to move, at all. Just kept the eyecontact even when I've attempted to warn my cousin. In the first seconds and maybe minutes I was extremely scared but then... it's changed... I couldn't describe the emotions inside me, and between... 'us'? It was just strange. It just starred at me, how I just starred at the figure.

From a point I started believe that it won't hurt me, like... it already decided. I don't know why, it just came from inside. It's appearance was creepy and it's face was like a mixture of a human and dog, it's all shape was freaking BUT I felt my fear got swallowed somehow.

I've heard my cousin about to leave the toilet. And the creature put it's other two legs on the ground again, like when I've saw it at first. Then turned around and with one single jump, it is jumped over above a 3,5 - 4 (13,12 ft) methers tall reed fence without any problem, then vanished.

Slowly after this, my cousin opened the door, ran towards us and started scolding me about my nonsense bullshits.

We didn't told him anything about what we saw. And questions keep popping up in my head long years I've finally found out what was that creature (so after years from the incident). I've heard and read stories about other's encounters with such Spirits like it, and most of them sounded very dangerous.

So the question kept popping up in my head. Why did it leaved me alone, after all?
He was way stronger than me, or anyone else in our circle. He could easily kill us if it really wanted to, but he didn't.
You can hear creepy stories all around the world about creatures like this.

So, any opinion or theory about my encounter?
Soon I'll be able to show video and voice recordings that shows similar like this, but the rules takes my hand now.

JackStagger

Could have been what's described as a Windigo. There is not much proof on them, though more recently people have described them to possibly be the same thing as what is described as a Rake. Sounds like a very Grey Gardens type of affair you had found yourself in, but I am sure you are and will be fine. If you really want answers you'll probably have to take them at gunpoint and slay the creature, sad to say. I highly discourage anyone from running around kicking cryptids, though. Doesn't change the fact that in this day and age we could tell more from looking at its brain for five minutes than spending ten years studying it reclusively in the wild.

It probably left you alone because it wanted nothing to do with you and was just curious, because it needed nothing from you, or what it needed from you it could get some other way/place more easily. That's the nature in animals and even most people.

SensitiveAbility

Wendigo different from the rake.
Wendigo is a possession of a person who takes on the craving of human flesh. It is a native legend. The only way to break the possession or curse is to kill the person who is possessed/cursed.
A Skin Walker is a Navajo in Arizona is a medicine/witch doctor who turned to the black arts, and craves flesh and what he eats he mimic's.
Skin Walker is also known to take form of animals, there is a video that a person took out here by skin Walker rang area were it looked like a creature then morfed into a wolf ran off.

From what you said and said it looks similar to that picture more to say wendigo

Last edited:

BlastTyrant

From what i can tell and what i know, The likelyhood of seeing a physical Wendigo is very very slim and not many people ever have. Wendigo are spirits that are opportunists who pray on people who are on their dying breath, typically those dying of starvation, and it makes a deal in order for the Wendigo to manifest it has to first eat, so it allows it's victim to survive by giving it the Wendigo's power but it has a insatiable lust for meat, and thus by it's victim killing and devouring it's victims the Wendigo grows stronger and is able to eventually come into full form.

The Rake as far as anyone can tell is just a story, it was created in 2005 via Creepypasta and there is no evidence or history prior to that time of it ever existing, much like the "Black eyed kids" of which was created on the internet via creepypasta and made famous.

Skinwalkers would appear as a oddly shaped or larger than normal animal, or in their true forum but it would look human-ish.

What you seen is sadly anyone's guess, it would naturally fit the report of a Rake if they were real, it is possible it was a dimensional being hence the intelligence and lack of hostility, demonic would not of hesitated to attack you. I sadly do not know what you have seen, as it isn't anything i have heard of.